truncate target table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

chulett wrote:Neither one "drops" the table. And you have the documentation, I don't, so why not simply look it up and tell us?
I dont have any documentation, as anbu said the functionality based on the documentation, if i know the answer why would i post it.i searched in the google but i didnt find the correct solution thats why i was asking.

thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

rsunny wrote:I dont have any documentation
I find that very hard to believe. There is the "online" help text available from any of the client tools, plus an entire directory of pdf documentation at your disposal. Not to mention the Help button that is in each and every stage. You really should check them out and start leveraging them.
rsunny also wrote:if i know the answer why would i post it.
It's a standard practice and just common courtesy to post answers, regardless of where they come from, even if you end up having to supply them yourself. This helps future searchers who come here looking for the same answer.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

rsunny wrote:Does it provides the same functionality for the SQL Server too or provides different functionality as my target database is SQLServer. And if it provides different functionality then "Clear table then insert rows" for the update action in SQL Server is going to delete all the rows or drop the table and then insert rows.
Start off by confirming for us what stage you are using for this. And just for grins, click on that big Help button in the stage and see if you can find the answer to this in the documentation it brings up.
-craig

rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

rsunny also wrote:if i know the answer why would i post it.
chulett wrote:It's a standard practice and just common courtesy to post answers, regardless of where they come from, even if you end up having to supply them yourself. This helps future searchers who come here looking for the same answer.
I didnt mean in a negative way as i said that if i know the answer for that question , why would i post the question ?And i will try to find the answer through the document.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Seemed more like you were saying why would I post the answer. Anyway, let us know what you find out. Failing that, let us know the stage you are using, something you still haven't mentioned.
-craig

thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi all
I jump into that topic, i don't have problem but i want a clarification.
Are you sure of this ? (the bold part)
Truncate table then insert rows - Truncates the table with no transaction logging and faster performance. For IBM DB2 and Informix, this option is the same as Clear table then insert rows..

We have a complex way to "truncate" our tables in db2.
If the clear doesn't log is will be easier for us.

Thanks
Hope This Helps
Regards