Migration

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rsunny
Participant

Migration

Post by rsunny »

Hi Guys ,

Can U plzz tel me in detail how to migrate the jobs from DS 7.5.2 Server edition to DS 8.1 Parallel edition as i am new to datastage and my task is to do migration.If u can explain me in detail That will be a great help.

Thanks
sri123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sri123 »

Basically you need set up an environment first. And then try to import the project in to the new environment. Before you import set the project wide parameters in the admin. change all the parameters to the newly created environment, before you start running the jobs. migration basically involves checking the datastage components are working fine and does not change the functionality of the jobs. some stages may behave differently in 8.1 pls be aware on that.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Migration

Post by ray.wurlod »

rsunny wrote:Hi Guys ,

Can U plzz tel me in detail how to migrate the jobs from DS 7.5.2 Server edition to DS 8.1 Parallel edition as i am new to datastage and my task is to do migration.If u can explain me in detail That will be a great help.

Thanks
I don't know that U could do that. U is only a developer; he has not done any administrator tasks such as installation/upgrade.

The second person personal pronoun in English is spelled "you". DSXchange is not a mobile telephone; we prefer to use a professional standard of written English rather than SMS-style abbreviations, because many of our participants do not have English as their first language.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you're new to DataStage hire an experienced practitioner (perhaps from IBM, perhaps not) to do the upgrade and to mentor you in the process. It is long and complex, and fraught with little traps (like a spurious error message about unsupported operating system) that aren't documented.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

ray.wurlod wrote:
rsunny wrote:Hi Guys ,

Thanks
I don't know that U could do that. U is only a developer; he has not done any administrator tasks such as installation/upgrade.

The second person personal pronoun in English is spelled "you". DSXchange is not a mobile telephone; we prefer to use a professional standard of written English rather than SMS-style abbreviations, because many of our participants do not have English as their first language.
But atleast can you tell me the process of how to do upgrading/migration.
dr.murthy
Participant

Post by dr.murthy »

There is no Direct mechanism to Migrate datastge code form server edition to Enterprise edition, need to use some intermediate tools like dotnet to migrate code and also not sure which will give hundred percent results just half part only it will do remaining things will be done manually
D.N .MURTHY
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

rsunny wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:It is long and complex, and fraught with little traps (like a spurious error message about unsupported operating system) that aren't documented.
rsunny,

Migration from project to project or from version to version can be quite striaght forward given everything is set-up properly for you. However, as Ray is suggesting here, there can be many ways this can go wrong and there is a good possibility that you can run into one of those undocumented errors.

Typically, migration of DataStage jobs is as simple as exporting from your old version and importing into the new version. But, when you start testing this is when you run into problems. The primary layer of problems (easy ones to fix) would be: "missing some directories", "permissions/authorizations", "Database connections", "missing parameters (environment variables)" etc. The next layer of problems, like the ones Ray mentioned, is when you will be stuck.

Hope the explanation that I gave will set you on a path...
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

@vivekgadwal

Yes, you made a good point but all you explained is to move from version to version like 7.5 to 8.x. Which is straight forward with some traps.

But in this case He is trying to move from server to parallel, which is a lenghty and complex task, IBM does have tool to convert it but that too involves manual tasks.

Hence, Do it your self with experienced professionals or give it to IBM to do the same.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

priyadarshikunal wrote:@vivekgadwal

Yes, you made a good point but all you explained is to move from version to version like 7.5 to 8.x. Which is straight forward with some traps.

But in this case He is trying to move from server to parallel, which is a lenghty and complex task, IBM does have tool to convert it but that too involves manual tasks.

Hence, Do it your self with experienced professionals or give it to IBM to do the same.
Sorry, I missed that :oops:

If it is from Server to Parallel, then the task is even more arduous. It definitely needs an expert to understand the conversion process.
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
rsunny
Participant

migration

Post by rsunny »

dr.murthy wrote:There is no Direct mechanism to Migrate datastge code form server edition to Enterprise edition, need to use some intermediate tools like dotnet to migrate code and also not sure which will give hundred percent results just half part only it will do remaining things will be done manually
Thankx for the reply murthy
rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

vivekgadwal wrote:
priyadarshikunal wrote:@vivekgadwal

Sorry, I missed that :oops:

If it is from Server to Parallel, then the task is even more arduous. It definitely needs an expert to understand the conversion process.
thankx for your reply from priya and vivek