Job picking default parameter values and not from script.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSShishya
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job picking default parameter values and not from script.

Post by DSShishya »

Dear All,

There is a job in a sequence which we run using a shell script and also pass the parameters to it using the script.

But, here is the situation, I have been having issues with the sequence aborting and hence did some investigation, upon which it was found that the job whenever it fails is actually picking the DEFAULT parameter values in the job properties as opposed to the one's specified in the script, however this does not happen every time the job runs, only sometimes it picks the DEFAULT values specified within the job properties, isnt this a strange situation?

Any idea what could be the reason behind this?

If it helps, this problem started when the log files hit the max limit of 2GB (Apparently when there was an upgrade the auto purge option was not enabled).
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

There is no API call which can say if defaults were used. You have to extract the defaults using API calls and then compare to what was used during the job run. Normally when I have seen this the script was passing the parameters in wrong.
Mamu Kim
DSShishya
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSShishya »

Kim

I noticed that the defaults were used by simple observation, I know for sure that when the job fails the default parameter values are used, what baffles me is that how does it pick two different sets of parameter values.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Are you running the job from a sequence or a batch job? I noticed that I put a DSPrepareJob() after my set parameters in a batch job. It took me forever to figure it out. As soon as it reset the job it set the parameters to defaults.
Mamu Kim
DSShishya
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSShishya »

Kim,

Its a batch job, and I beleive all this is due to Timeout factor.

Please do share your views if you think otherwise.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can verify in the job log ("job starting" event) which parameter values were passed to the job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSShishya
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSShishya »

Ray,

I did verify in the job log and the parameters are same as the ones passed from the script when the job is succesful, however when the job fails I notice that the parameters picked by the job are of default hardcoded value.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK you've proved that it's happening. What's different between the times when it succeeds and the times when it does not succeed? Where does the script get values from? Is that guaranteed to be available at all times?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.