using hint in OCI stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ayan
Participant

using hint in OCI stage

Post by ayan »

Hi,

Can we use hints in SQL query in OCI stage? If I specify a parallel hint for a select query (which does a full table scan),will datastage read faster?

Regards,
Ayan
Ayan
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Queries are passed to your RDBMS as they are mentioned. So the speed of the query is not relevant to DataStage by your Database.

From DataStage, you can configure your array fetch size to use returned data and memory efficiently.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

To put that another way, DataStage itself does not use hints. So whether hints will make anything faster depends solely on whatever impact the hints will have in the database.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So yes, and it's all about Oracle not DataStage. Also note there's no need for custom SQL simply for this, I put the hint as part of the derivation of the first field and then the SQL will be generated all proper like, hint and all.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers