Question regarding dsapi_server and dsapi_slave

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Question regarding dsapi_server and dsapi_slave

Post by zulfi123786 »

Well i was thinking that dsapi_slave is a child process of dsapi_server and when i connect to DataStage using Designer client was expecting to see the process dsapi_server to be running instead i find only dsapi_slave.
If dsapi_slave is a child process of dsapi_server is my child process running without the parent process.
Also can you throw some light on the process dscs.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

dscs = DataStage Common Services - the service requested by connecting DataStage clients and resolved via the dsrpcservices file consulted by dsrpcd (DataStage RPC daemon).

It is from this that dsapi_server instances get created.

Either dsapi_server or dscs processes may fork dsapi_slave processes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

Thanks for this information. So it is dscs that is at the highest level as far as the client connection activities are concerned and all other services are child processes of this dscs. I have seen in this forums that when ever a request is made for the repository acces the dsapi_slave is forked, similiarly what kind of requests trigger the dsapi_server process.

Thank you.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you examined dsprcservices file?

Essentially dsapi_server is always started because this is the executable associated with the dscs service. It looks after the connection. Whether or not a dsapi_slave process is started depends on whether there's any work to be done accessing the repository.

Admittedly this is a bit simplistic but we're getting into "intellectual property of IBM" territory here.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.