Dscmdexport via Task Scheduler

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

brownnt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Dscmdexport via Task Scheduler

Post by brownnt »

I am working on a batch file that runs dscmdexport to export a list of my projects from reading a text file of project names. This batch file works when I run it interactively, but the dscmdexport command does not export the projects when I run it via the windows task scheduler. Anyone have any suggestions. Below is my script:

@ECHO OFF
ECHO ***********************************************************************
ECHO * This batch script is used to Export all the projects to the E:\DS_Exports
ECHO * folder. This must be run from a DataStage client machine. The
ECHO * Projects.txt file gets auto generated by the dsjob list command.
REM CHANGES:
REM 02/01/2010 CREATED

ECHO * SET VARIABLES...
SET Host=MyHostName
SET User=User
SET Password=Password
SET ExeDir=E:\IBM\InformationServer\Clients\Classic
SET ExportDir=E:\DS_Exports

ECHO * CREATE PROJECTS.TXT FILE...
%ExeDir%\dsjob -lprojects > %ExportDir%\Projects.txt
Sleep 5

ECHO * START EXPORT...
for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%a in (%ExportDir%\Projects.txt) do (start /wait %ExeDir%\dscmdexport /H=%Host% /U=%User% /P=%Password% %%a %ExportDir%\%%a.dsx /V)
EXIT
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

You are running the script in verbose mode so why don't you put the logs in to a log file to make the life a bit easy. Some useful information can be found in the log file.
Do something like

Code: Select all

........%\%%a.dsx /V > %ExportDir%\%%a.log
and let us know the results and anything in that log files if created.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
brownnt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by brownnt »

priyadarshikunal wrote:You are running the script in verbose mode so why don't you put the logs in to a log file to make the life a bit easy. Some useful information can be found in the log file.
Do something like

Code: Select all

........%\%%a.dsx /V > %ExportDir%\%%a.log
and let us know the results and anything in that log files if created.
Thanks for the reply. I updated my script to include the log file output, but the log file is 0k (blank).
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

try to echo path and the command you are going to execute.

like adding

echo %PATH% >path.txt
echo (start /wait %ExeDir%\dscmdexport /H=%Host% /U=%User% /P=%Password% %%a %ExportDir%\%%a.dsx /V) > command.txt

to see if path is correctly reflected to the script and you are getting the correct values in for parameters.

also try to run the command from E:\IBM\InformationServer\Clients\Classic directory by using

cd %ExeDir% before command execution.
Priyadarshi Kunal

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's a complete, working version of one in the DS Tips section of Kim Duke's website. You could use or at least crib from it. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
brownnt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by brownnt »

priyadarshikunal wrote:try to echo path and the command you are going to execute.

like adding

echo %PATH% >path.txt
echo (start /wait %ExeDir%\dscmdexport /H=%Host% /U=%User% /P=%Password% %%a %ExportDir%\%%a.dsx /V) > command.txt

to see if path is correctly reflected to the script and you are getting the correct values in for parameters.

also try to run the command from E:\IBM\InformationServer\Clients\Classic directory by using

cd %ExeDir% before command execution.
When I echo the command it does give me the correct path and values both when I run this interactively or by task scheduler. This works great when I run the bat file interactively via start -> run, just not as a scheduler task.
Last edited by brownnt on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
brownnt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by brownnt »

chulett wrote:There's a complete, working version of one in the DS Tips section of Kim Duke's website. You could use or at least crib from it. :wink:
Kim is using 7.5 where I am on 8.01. Kim also uses dsexport where I am using dscmdexport.
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

As Craig noted, you can get the script from below url

http://www.duke-consulting.com/DataStage_Tips.htm

The script has a a lot of notes/hints to debug your script. something like

:: -----------------------------------------------------------------
:: Required Components:
:: dsjob.exe (Windows Version)
:: (also requires vmdsapi.dll)
:: Advised to place both files under Windows System directory.
:: -----------------------------------------------------------------
Priyadarshi Kunal

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Dscmdexport via Task Scheduler

Post by PhilHibbs »

brownnt wrote:This batch file works when I run it interactively, but the dscmdexport command does not export the projects when I run it via the windows task scheduler. Anyone have any suggestions.
The only thing I can think of is there is something different about the environment when the scheduler runs the script. I see from other replies that you've already checked the path.

Try writing the whole "start /wait %ExeDir%\dscmdexport /H=%Host% /U=%User% /P=%Password% %%a %ExportDir%\%%a.dsx /V" as text to a file, in case there's something odd in there.

*Update*: I see priyadarshikunal already suggested exactly that. Sorry.

Maybe Windows isn't letting you spawn a start command? Do you need the start, can't you just invoke dscmdexport directly?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
brownnt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by brownnt »

PhilHibbs wrote:
brownnt wrote:This batch file works when I run it interactively, but the dscmdexport command does not export the projects when I run it via the windows task scheduler. Anyone have any suggestions.
The only thing I can think of is there is something different about the environment when the scheduler runs the script. I see from other replies that you've already checked the path.

Try writing the whole "start /wait %ExeDir%\dscmdexport /H=%Host% /U=%User% /P=%Password% %%a %ExportDir%\%%a.dsx /V" as text to a file, in case there's something odd in there.

Maybe Windows isn't letting you spawn a start command? Do you need the start, can't you just invoke dscmdexport directly?
Yes, I need start so I can wait for each project to finish exporting before the next one starts. I agree, I know it's something with task scheduler and the start command, but not sure what.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

brownnt wrote:Yes, I need start so I can wait for each project to finish exporting before the next one starts.
I'm not convinced that you do. dscmdexport is a command line program, so it should just run in the same process as the batch file and return. Unless dscmdexport is actually a batch file on your system that points to the real dscmdexport.exe, I do that sometimes, in which case you need "call" instead of "start /wait". Is the start command a hang-over from a previous attempt at using dsexport, which is a GUI app that would run in its own process?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

dscmdexport.exe will not release the process unless it completes/fails. Hence you don't need to specify that. That the next thing I will try to get rid of.

As PhilHibbs mentioned try to run it without start/wait.
Priyadarshi Kunal

brownnt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by brownnt »

After removing the start /wait atleast now the scheduled task will run and create log files with the error below in the logfiles.

dscmdexport aborted:
Failed to attach to the project

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Probably a crendentials issue. For the 8.x release, I believe you'll need to add the /D "domain" parameter as well as the normal userid/password.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
brownnt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by brownnt »

chulett wrote:Probably a crendentials issue. For the 8.x release, I believe you'll need to add the /D "domain" parameter as well as the normal userid/password.
Any idea on how to setup the Task Scheduler service login? Right now it is configured to run as Local System, the task itself uses a DOMAIN\DataStageAdmin account to run, but my script has a local DataStage account in the /U=Username command line syntax.

Thanks,