Sequence aborts though all jobs within it finish successfull

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequence aborts though all jobs within it finish successfull

Post by zulfi123786 »

The warning that was logged for the sequence is
"dsqChangeCapture.JobControl (@djsRTRAppFetch1): Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob(djsRTRCheckConsistent), code=-2
[Job is not in the right state (compiled and not running)]" this was logged @ 02/01/2010 11:25:14 PM
but the job djsRTRCheckConsistent was triggered by the sequence at 02/01/2010 11:25:04 PM and finished at 02/01/2010 11:26:33 PM without any warnings then what has caused the sequence to abort ?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look carefully at the times. An attempt was made to start the job when it was already running.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

The only way this job can be triggered is through the sequence and i was thinking this sequence triggered the job and while it was running the sequence "some how" logged a warning but the job made its way to completion. I am in quest of finding this "somehow". Any other situation any one can think of apart from the one mentioned (trying to run the job which is already running).

Thanks[/b]
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The job is running - it started at 23:25:04.

At 23:25:14 an attempt is made to start the job again. This attempt fails, throwing (correctly) "job not in correct state" error.

The job that is still running finishes at 23:26:33 and it's that one whose successful completion is reported.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Something else tried to start the job while it was already running. You need to find out who/what that was.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

chulett wrote:Something else tried to start the job while it was already running. You need to find out who/what that was.
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion, I've seen job sequences do odd things. Look at the first entry in the Director job log. The "DSJobController" tells you the name of the sequence that ran the job. If it is your sequence name and a start time of 23:25:04, then your sequence ran the job and then incorrectly tried to check that the job was not running 10 seconds later. If there is no "DSJobController" entry, and it just says "Starting Job ...", then it was run manually.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Honestly, I don't know any other conclusion to jump to. I've never seen one 'accidently' or how did the OP put it... 'some how' try to start a job again. I don't see how that could possibly happen. Now, for a one-time non-repeatable occurance, then some other sequence or a manual process started the job just before the sequence in question tried to. If it happens consistently, then I would suspect an error in setting up the sequence job itself - I've seen ones where someone meant to run Job Activties A & B together and wound up mis-clicking and running A & A instead.

As you noted, that DSJobController entry should be a big clue.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

chulett wrote:I've seen ones where someone meant to run Job Activties A & B together and wound up mis-clicking and running A & A instead.
That's a possibility - and even if you check the job design to make sure this is not the case, the job might have been saved without compiling and so it might be running an out of date sequence of actions. Try moving the icons around as well, in case you have one identical Job Activity stage on top of another. That's always embarrassing. I once managed to get two stages with exactly the same name, :shock: not sure how I managed that, and that was before the days when I started messing around with dsx files.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant