look up and write to same hashfile in same job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

look up and write to same hashfile in same job

Post by zulfi123786 »

I am following the below listed process, Please advice if it is not the best way.

1) read the hashfile with "Pre-Load file to memory=Enabled,Lock for updates"

2) writing to the hashfile with no cache.

In the above what kind of lock is applied to the file, is it lock on the entire file or a record level lock, is it okay to preload the file or "Disabled,Lock for updates" has to be used. As i am not aware of how the locking on hashfile works can anyone give me the reference as to which document explains this mechanism.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Pre-load should be done for lookups. You should never use a hashed file as both primary source and target. Hashed files can be used as temp storage. So create a new file from the old one. If you have to then have a second job which clears the hashed file and copies back the records from this new file.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Locking is at record level, and is triggered by a lookup failing (that is, an expectation is established that the job will insert the record from the same Transformer stage). Do not use a private read-cache in this instance because it is pre-loaded when the job starts. Do not use a write-cache, because writes to memory are not accessible to the Hashed File stage performing the reading.

This advice changes if you move to public (shared) caching, but that's a whole other topic with a whole other menu.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.