Delimiter in Sequential File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ankita
Participant

Delimiter in Sequential File

Post by ankita »

Hi,
Is it possible to add more than one delimiter in a target sequential file in Server job?
Ankita
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not in the Sequential File stage.

You can build the entire line in an upstream Transformer stage and write a single, large VarChar column to the file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ankita
Participant

Post by ankita »

But Our requirement is:

1. First Load data in to a sequential file with delimiter '||'.
2. After that other team will be using that sequential file to load into a target table.

If we do this in the transformer stage then is it possible to do the above stages.

Can some help me on this.
Ankita
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why not simply remove the (apparently stupid) requirement for a two-character delimiter? Use a non-printing character, such as Ctrl-Y (represented in DataStage as 025).

While you can use the Transformer stage as I mentioned above, the other team will have to jump through similar hoops to unpack the data you have created.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

When you map the derivation for each column in the transformer, you can do something like this

Link.ColumnName : '||'

You need not do this for the last column derivation.

And then specify that the delimiter in sequential file as nothing. You may want to adjust your metadata definitions accordingly for the seq file.

OR, as Ray suggested, go for a single character delimiter.
Kandy