how to avoid the ABNORMAL TERMINATION

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yousoof.mohamed
Participant

how to avoid the ABNORMAL TERMINATION

Post by yousoof.mohamed »

The jobs are getting aborted due to the abnormal termination. In a day, atleast 2 or 3 jobs are getting aborted. No clue to find out the issue and more than 300 jobs are running sequentially.

please let me know your views and comments to avoid the abnormal termination and to get a premanent fix for the client.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

This is a huge question. The good news is that the problem is not on the client.

You will have to inspect the log of each job that has aborted to learn why it has aborted, and address the identified problem.

Reset the job in Director rather than recompiling. This may create an entry "from previous run..." in the job log, containing additional diagnostic information.

To avoid abnormal terminations in future, apply the experience you get from inspecting the job logs, and avoid any programming techniques that lead to them.

There is no one magic bullet. However it is possible to create server jobs in DataStage that do not abort other than for external reasons (such as database not available).
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There is "no" magic bullet. And as noted, jobs can abort for a very large variety of reasons. You'd need to post specific errors for anyone to provide specific help.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Abhijeet1980
Participant

Post by Abhijeet1980 »

Generics and specifics.
Kind regards
Abhijit Gaikwad
Vineet Pal Singh
Participant

Post by Vineet Pal Singh »

There are large variety of reasons for which jobs give "Abnormal Terminatuon" error. So it is nearly impossible to generalise the reason for so as to why this error crops up. So you will have to dig into the individual ETL job so as to find out the reason for it's abnormal termination.

Thanks
Vineet
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

yousoof.mohamed wrote:The jobs are getting aborted due to the abnormal termination. In a day, atleast 2 or 3 jobs are getting aborted. No clue to find out the issue and more than 300 jobs are running sequentially.

please let me know your views and comments to avoid the abnormal termination and to get a premanent fix for the client.
Yousoof,

I am a victim of this dreaded error :wink: sometime ago and the solution can be very diverse. It can range from your T30FILES setting to the Commit level of the database. I personally have posted the problem + solutions in this website as well as numerous others who faced this issue. Please do search for them.

Here are the two solutions that I personally implemented to aviod this error:

1) The first time, we had to increase the T30FILE limit as well as the RLTABSZ and GLTABSZ. However, I warn you NOT to do it on a whim. Do careful analysis on this and I only did it on the recommendation from IBM.

2) The second time, in a different place and different situation, the jobs were failing because of this error. My job design is as follows:

Code: Select all

File --> Xfm --> OCI
I set the Transaction size as 10000 initially. It worked in Dev and Test, but as soon as this got promoted into Prod is ab-ended with this error. The solution was that I reduced this property to 1024.

Please post your results for other's reference over here.

Good luck...
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted