Migration of DS from one server to another

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Migration of DS from one server to another

Post by paranoid »

Hi,

We are planning to migrate all the datastage jobs and databases from the Solaris server to the new AIX server.

I am the thinking of the following points to be considered for the successful migration of the DS jobs:

1. Import all the jobs into a .dsx file and export that to new server.
2. Migrate the database to the new server.
3. Copying all the UNIX scripts that run the DS jobs from the old server to the new server.

Am i missing anything other than the ones that i have mentioned above?

Please advise.

Sue
nikhilanshuman
Participant

Post by nikhilanshuman »

1 )You need to migrate your all <b>user defined Environment variables as well</b>.These variables are present in <b>dsparam</b> file of datastage home directory(can be seen in datastage administrator).Your jobs will not compile in the new environment if these variables are not setup there.

2) Creation of similar directory structure -> You datastage jobs create files in certain directories.Also,your scripts reside in a directory.You need to create a similar directory structure there as well.It will be good if you create a shell script containing all mkdir <dirname> command followed by chmod command.If this is done,running a shell script will create all directories at once.

3) Creation of project -> You need to create a Datastage project similar to this project in the new machine.

4) Sql scripts for lookup tables : In your current table,there might be some lookup tables from which your job are doing lookup.Create insert statements for all those tables where you think the data might be required in the new machine.

5) Setting up entries in tnsname.ora : You might need to setup your database in the new environment.Check if the entries for databases are there in the tnsnames.ora file.Also,you need to check the DSN settings on the new machine for your databases.
Nikhil
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

Nikhil,

That was really a nice info. Thank you very much.
Hope i did not miss any other things.

Sue
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hashed files? Pathed ones can be simply copied over to any path on the new server, but account based ones won't be in the export and will require more manual effort to migrate.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

That's a good information as well. Thank you for the heads up on hashed files.

Sue