uvconfig file...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kaps
Participant

uvconfig file...

Post by kaps »

We had problem running multiple environments(system test and integration test) at the same time in a server. Problem meaning jobs were taking lot more time than it usually takes as they are fighting for the system resources. Our sys admins told us to change our jobs to use different TEMP location than the default /tmp and they think that is the main culprit.

I read few posts in this forum and came to the conclusion that TMPDIR variable in Administrator is not much of a use for Server jobs and we have to change the UVTEMP file in uvconfig file. I have couple of questions here.

1. Do we need to bounce DataStage if we change this parameter in uvconfig file or is it enough if we just run uvregen ?

2. When we make change to this file does it reflect to all the DataStage projects in this server ?

Thanks
Kappi
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

1. Seeing as how you need to shut down DataStage to regen, it will get 'bounced' in the process.

2. Yes.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kaps
Participant

Post by kaps »

I am sorry. I did not get your first point.

When I said about running regen I meant that running the uvregen executable in $DSHOME/bin/ directory without taking the DataStage service down. But it looks like I have to bounce the DataStage service after running the uvregen. Is that correct ?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

While I believe you can regen with the engine running, I never do. You will need to bounce the 'service' for it to see the changes, one way or the other.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Even if you can do it (regen with the engine running) it is not a good idea. And you still need to re-start the engine services before the changes will be picked up anyway.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.