data stage questions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

femil
Participant

data stage questions

Post by femil »

hi friends..

i will be pleased if you explain me what is universe database and unidata database
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

universe in the inhouse repository database used by datastage.
unidata database - i have not heard

Regards
Sreeni
femil
Participant

Post by femil »

Sreenivasulu wrote:universe in the inhouse repository database used by datastage.
unidata database - i have not heard

Regards
Sreeni

Thank you sreeni ...
Could you make it lucid that what is inhouse in this context
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Both UniVerse and Unidata are independent database products. Between 2000 and 2009 they were owned and marketed by IBM; in October 2009 they were sold to Rocket Sotftware. Both were created in the mid-1980s to try to take some of the market share of Prime INFORMATION.

The original vendor of UniVerse, VMark Software, was the original developer of DataStage, which is why the UniVerse database was selected as the engine layer. Another two reasons is that UniVerse and Unidata are not just databases but fully-fledged application development environments, and that an interface exists for exposing objects on a Windows client either as COM objects through an OLE server or through Java classes; these objects are the foundation for the DataStage client tools' communication with the server.

(I was there.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.