Modify a dsx or xml file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

danddmrs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Modify a dsx or xml file

Post by danddmrs »

One of the LAN servers accessed in various DS projects is getting replaced and a new name. My task is to change all instances of the server name within my projects from 'serverABC' to 'serverXYZ'.

To accomplish this I exported one of the projects in Manager, created a job to read the .hml file and EREPLACE the server names. Then imported the modified file, mass compiled all the jobs and rescheduled the jobs.

This was a small project but some of the others are much larger and contain only a few server references. Is there a way to capture only those jobs, sequences, and routines that have changed so I don't have to recompile and reschedule everything? Or perhaps a better way to make the change?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
DS_SUPPORT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_SUPPORT »

Kim Duke posted some scripts to search for a particular string in a project. Use that script and change only the required jobs and reschedule them.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... why is this not a job parameter? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Or reuse the existing LAN name to the new one and new LAN to current name. In short, swap the names
danddmrs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by danddmrs »

Parameters are used for jobs and sequences. Command Stages have the server name hardcoded. I don't think the command line can use the parameter. :?:

I'm not sure why they didn't simply rename the servers. Then again, I don't think it's an issue for anything other than DataStage which they didn't realize was impacted until 2 weeks before the scheduled migration was to begin.

I'll look for Kim's scripts and go from there.

Thanks everyone!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would wager that they can. I don't have Windows and thus no 'Command' stage but the Execute Command stage can with a small trick which I'm guessing would work in the Command stage as well. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers