Designing DataStage jobs as services

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srai
Participant

Designing DataStage jobs as services

Post by srai »

Hi All,

I am working on one POC for Publishing DataStage job as web srvice.

I tried searching some help regarding this in this forum and came to know that by using WISD input and WISD output stage we can implement this.

But I do not have any idea how use WISD input and WISD output stages, how to design a DataStage job using these stages.

Could anybody provide me any information how to implement this.

Thanks
Santosh
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

There are a variety of things you need to learn...start with the doc and let us know if you have any questions. Here are a few of the concepts that you should be comfortable with:

--Job topologies for ISD Services (always on, vs "kicking off" a regular Job)
--Deployment "mechanics." Steps required using ISD Console to formally deploy an ISD service once you have compiled a job with or without ISD Stages.
--Services protocols. SOAP, EJB, JMS, REST, RSS.....which do you need, and which are you prepared to be able to test and validate.

You also need to be sure that you have ISD licensed and installed/configured.

The doc is very good, and will help with many of these concepts, as will many threads in this forum. I also have a few entries on this subject that you might want to check on my blog below.

ISD brings a whole new world of solutions to DataStage and QualityStage. Good luck and have fun with it.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
kripakarprasad
Participant

Question regarding QS Migration

Post by kripakarprasad »

Hi,

I came across your earlier posts regarding publishing job as a service and wanted to clarify my doubts with you.

Currently I have a QS job and it is being used in a Java application.

I bring up my program in Qualitystage using the following command:

nohup qsrtmngr -c /opt/qsadm/Ascential/QualityStage/bin/mngr.cfg -t 2 2>&1 |perl logfile.pl qsrt.log &

We are planning to move to IIS8.1.

IF I migrate my QS jobs using the migration utility, How can I replicate what I implement in 7.5 version (publishing the job as a service).

Thanks a lot,

Kripakar
eostic wrote:There are a variety of things you need to learn...start with the doc and let us know if you have any questions. Here are a few of the concepts that you should be comfortable with:

--Job topologies for ISD Services (always on, vs "kicking off" a regular Job)
--Deployment "mechanics." Steps required using ISD Console to formally deploy an ISD service once you have compiled a job with or without ISD Stages.
--Services protocols. SOAP, EJB, JMS, REST, RSS.....which do you need, and which are you prepared to be able to test and validate.

You also need to be sure that you have ISD licensed and installed/configured.

The doc is very good, and will help with many of these concepts, as will many threads in this forum. I also have a few entries on this subject that you might want to check on my blog below.

ISD brings a whole new world of solutions to DataStage and QualityStage. Good luck and have fun with it.

Ernie
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

QualityStage changed significantly in v8 --- it becomes essentially a function (or "stage") in a flow of a DataStage Job.....and then you build the flow to support ISD and Services as noted above.

Your rule sets will migrate to 8.1 -- I don't recall off hand whether the conversion utility will build some template DS/QS jobs with the new stages or not........

Are you using QSRT (and communicating with QS on a row by row basis via the 7.5 and prior QS real time api?), or just launching a QS job that runs in batch but is ultimately triggered by your java app?

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
kripakarprasad
Participant

Post by kripakarprasad »

Ernie,

I have a QS Job that is opened up as a service using the mngr.cfg file. It is being used real time. The Java program calls the QS job as and when its needed.

In short, we use QSRT and the jobs that have to be opened up as services and the ports where they have to be opened are specified in the mngr.cfg.

Before we go full steam into this migration, i want to make sure we can get a pilot version up and running to make sure we have a working proof of concept.

Any suggestions on how to proceed...

Thanks

Kripakar