Random "Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob code

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

msacks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Random "Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob code

Post by msacks »

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can assist us.

We just upgraded our Oracle Development Database from 10g to 11g. We are testing all our applications and DataStage jobs for compatibility with 11g. Since the upgrade, we are experiencing random "Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob | code=-14 | [Timed out while waiting for an event]" when running sequence jobs. It doesn't seem to happen on the same server job each run, and we have had some runs where we haven't gotten this error at all.

Please note, DataStage is installed on it's own server - it is not on the same server as the Oracle database. Also, we have not touched anything on the DataStage server. The DataStage server has the 10g Oracle client.

If you need any further details on our setup, please don't hesitate to ask.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you searched for your error message here?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
msacks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by msacks »

Hi Craig,

I did search, but I didn't find anything relevant to this error and upgrade to Oracle 11g. It's entirely possible I missed it, or my search criteria was insufficient to find the correct answer. If you're aware of a prior posting that might help, could I impose on you to point me to the relevant post?

Thanks in advance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't think you can look at this error strictly through the narrow telescope of the 11g upgrade. You need to look at it for what it is - a resource issue, an error simply meaning that it could not start a job within the hard-coded time window the engine enforces. How that relates to upgrading a remote 10g database to 11g, I have no clue - it may even be coincidental and a complete Wild Goose.

I'd suggest you bring your official support provider into the picture and see what they can find.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Code -14 is a timeout, often a timeout when a job start request can not be honoured within 60 seconds. Did you try searching for "-14"?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.