Parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

clausskou
Premium Member
Premium Member

Parameters

Post by clausskou »

Hi,

I have recently taken over the responsibililty for our Datastage environment - vers. 7.5.1 A on windows. Now we have job which has been deployed to the production server. A developer forgot to erase the parameter from the test environment. In produktion we use a parameterfile with the relevant jobsparameters. Now the question, Will datastage always try to use the job parameters in the job before using a possible parameter file?. In production we use dsjob.exe with -params to run the jobs. The -params coming from the parameterfile.

Thanks,

Claus
Last edited by clausskou on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The "dsjob -lparams" call will not execute a job, but list the parameters that it uses. On a similar note, could you explain what sort of parameters you mean - particularly the parameter file. Perhaps at your site you have a written set of programs or routines that populate parameter values.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The answer totally depends on how your 'job control wrapper' is coded. By default, all a job will use are the default values coded in the job at design time. However, from what you posted it sounds like your wrapper is coded to check to see what parameters the job uses (-lparams) and then I assume it reads the parameter file and sets them appropriately. By the way, some variation of this is very common and means there's no need to 'erase' anything as the job moves from environment to environment.

If you are unsure what your dsjob wrapper is doing, you could always post that code and we could explain it to you. Your call. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sachin1
Participant

Post by sachin1 »

In my env all job parameters defined in parameter file overrides the value of parameter set in job design.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

We're not talking about parameter sets and value files, if that's what you are referring to, those aren't available in any pre-8 release.
-craig

clausskou
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clausskou »

Thanks. Your replay makes sense to me. There is a wrapper and it seems to check the parameters. I guess Datastage is case-sensitive. In the job there is a "DataFile_Dir" parameter with a value and in the parameter file, there is a DataFile_dir. I assume this is the course of the problem. In this case Datastage will use DataFile_Dir value and not the parameter file. Am I correct in assuming this?

Best regards

Claus
chulett wrote:The answer totally depends on how your 'job control wrapper' is coded. By default, all a job will use are the default values coded in the job at design time. However, from what you posted it sounds like your wrapper is coded to check to see what parameters the job uses (-lparams) and then I assume it reads the parameter file and sets them appropriately. By the way, some variation of this is very common and means there's no need to 'erase' anything as the job moves from environment to environment.

If you are unsure what your dsjob wrapper is doing, you could always post that code and we could explain it to you. Your call. :wink:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Correct. It will look for the parameter in the file and not find it, thus letting the parameter default.
-craig

clausskou
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clausskou »

chulett wrote:Correct. It will look for the parameter in the file and not find it, thus letting the parameter default.
Thank you very much. Just as I expected.

Best regards,

Claus