Converting Column to Rows

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

parag.s.27
Participant

Converting Column to Rows

Post by parag.s.27 »

Hi,

I have a requirement where in one column I am getting certain values for different records. I have to extract this column and convert the values into rows.

For e.g My record is as: -

Code: Select all

AD|BANK OPS|255068|1098765|BC|46E;654;87R
Here the last column has multiple values seperated by ";". What I need is as follows: -

Code: Select all

46E
87R

The number of ";" seperated values for different records may change and are dynamic. In DS Server 7.5, since there is no Pivot stage, can anyone please help and suggest how to do this?
Thanks & Regards
Parag Saundattikar
Certified for Infosphere DataStage v8.0
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Pivot stage is part of default DataStage installation.

Btw, do you want the last column alone or all other columns with the last one made single?
parag.s.27
Participant

Post by parag.s.27 »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:Pivot stage is part of default DataStage installation.

Btw, do you want the last column alone or all other columns with the last one made single? ...
Hi,

I needed only the last column...

Here I meant that in DS 8.1 there is Pivot enterprise stage where as in Server or 8.0 there is Pivot stage that works on columns, but here there is only a single column. I though of first seperate the last column then read it with ";" as a delimiter and then use pivot. But this will not work because some record may have 2 values and some may have 15.

Anyways, I've resolved it now and done a very simple trick with the ascii codes. So using a single transformer I've converted the values in that column to rows.
Thanks & Regards
Parag Saundattikar
parag.s.27
Participant

Post by parag.s.27 »

I simply replaced the ";" with Char(10) and wrote the data in Seq file ina UNIX New Line mode.
Thanks & Regards
Parag Saundattikar