difference between Dynamic_RDBMS and oracle OCI stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sachin1
Participant

difference between Dynamic_RDBMS and oracle OCI stage

Post by sachin1 »

hello friends,

what is difference related to Dynamic_RDBMS stage and Oracle OCI stage.

i mean to say is there any performance gain using Dynamic_RDBMS over Oracle OCI stage or vice-versa, as for example taking oracle database into consideration.

i am curious as i can do all action in Dynamic_RDBMS stage as provided in Oracle OCI stage.

thanks,
sachin
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Both use OCI, assuming you set the DRS stage to Oracle rather than ODBC. The 'advantage' of the DRS stage is the alleged ability to switch databases on the fly, which never works out as easily as the brochure says it will. We have Oracle here and use the OCI stages exclusively. With the DRS set to OCI, I don't see there being any performance difference between the two stages.

As an aside, I especially don't like the way the DRS stage uses 'ODBC style' parameter markers rather than the numbered ones OCI does. Bleeck.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vijay.barani
Participant

Post by vijay.barani »

Hi Chullet,
I too have the same doubt abiout the difference between Oracle OCI and DRS Stages.Apart from this I doubt whether Oracle OCI use native drivers.Please let me know whether any performance difference between Oracle OCI and DRS Stages in DS server 7.X and the database used is Oracle.
chulett wrote:Both use OCI, assuming you set the DRS stage to Oracle rather than ODBC. The 'advantage' of the DRS stage is the alleged ability to switch databases on the fly, which never works out as easily as the brochure says it will. We have Oracle here and use the OCI stages exclusively. With the DRS set to OCI, I don't see there being any performance difference between the two stages.

As an aside, I especially don't like the way the DRS stage uses 'ODBC style' parameter markers rather than the numbered ones OCI does. Bleeck.
Warm Regards,
Vijay
vijay.barani
Participant

Post by vijay.barani »

Hi Chullet,
I too have the same doubt abiout the difference between Oracle OCI and DRS Stages.Apart from this I doubt whether Oracle OCI use native drivers.Please let me know whether any performance difference between Oracle OCI and DRS Stages in DS server 7.X and the database used is Oracle.
chulett wrote:Both use OCI, assuming you set the DRS stage to Oracle rather than ODBC. The 'advantage' of the DRS stage is the alleged ability to switch databases on the fly, which never works out as easily as the brochure says it will. We have Oracle here and use the OCI stages exclusively. With the DRS set to OCI, I don't see there being any performance difference between the two stages.

Warm Regards,
Vijay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

OCI uses native drivers, period. As does the DRS stage when explicitly set to Oracle. Nothing to doubt there. If you have other doubts, you'll need to enumerate them as I'm not about to try and guess what they are.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What DO you think the Oracle OCI stages use?

Hint: what does "OCI" stand for?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vijay.barani
Participant

Post by vijay.barani »

ray.wurlod wrote:What DO you think the Oracle OCI stages use?

Hint: what does "OCI" stand for? ...
OCI stands for Oracle call interface.and Oracle OCI is meant only for Oracle.But how does this doiffer from Dynamic RDBMS Stage(DRS),As both of these stages have to fetch from database. ???
Warm Regards,
Vijay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's an interface and it is what the OCI stage uses exclusively. The DRS stage can use that or ODBC to communicate with Oracle.
-craig

vijay.barani
Participant

Post by vijay.barani »

chulett wrote:It's an interface and it is what the OCI stage uses exclusively. The DRS stage can use that or ODBC to communicate with Oracle. ...
Hi Chullet,
So you say that Oracle OCI stage has the Interface which DRS does not have in the stage,Is it?
And this is the reason Oracle OCI may take less time to fetch records from source when compared to DRS.
Correct me if i am wrong.

Thank you so much. :)
Warm Regards,
Vijay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, when set to 'Oracle' the DRS stage uses OCI. When set to 'ODBC' it... well, I'm sure you can figure that one out.
-craig

vijay.barani
Participant

Post by vijay.barani »

chulett wrote:No, when set to 'Oracle' the DRS stage uses OCI. When set to 'ODBC' it... well, I'm sure you can figure that one out. ...
When set to 'ODBC' it...searches for open database..

Then What is the use of Oracle OCI when DRS can do the same job.
And i also found when using the Oracle OCI stage instead of DRS i got great time saving for load time.!!
Warm Regards,
Vijay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I actually meant, when set to 'ODBC' it uses ODBC as the interface. :?

I personally stick with OCI and don't use DRS as I abhor the "?" parameter markers it uses and don't need the "switch to any other database on the fly!" capability it was built to allow. Plus it has fewer options built into the stage compared to OCI, being somewhat "generic".
-craig

jdsmith575210
Participant

Post by jdsmith575210 »

We use use both stage types. Performance always seems to be the same.

If you just have to have a favorite, try color. I prefer red over green.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:wink:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

jdsmith575210 wrote:If you just have to have a favorite, try color. I prefer red over green.
Not in DataStage!!!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.