Comparing Two Data Values

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Vishal1982
Participant

Comparing Two Data Values

Post by Vishal1982 »

Hi All,

I want to perform the join operation on two columns of Oracle.

First column is having datatype Date and contain values in format : 7/10/2003 10:37:00 AM

Second column is having datatype Timestamp(6)
and contain value in format : 7/10/2003 12:00:00.000000 AM

when i am comparing the values from these two columns ,i am not getting any result in my outupt.

Please help me ,is there any standard function which will extract some part from these above two datatypes in specific format(i.e YYYY-MM-DD) to compare value between them or i need to build the custom transform.

Thanks In Advance!!
IBM Websphere Datastage Certified Professional
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Several choices. You can TRUNC() in your SQL to get just the date portion. Or TO_CHAR() them both to strings in YYYY-MM-DD format and compare them directly. Or use IConv() and then compare the internal dates inside the job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Vishal1982
Participant

Post by Vishal1982 »

Hi Craig,

By using to_char() function,it is working fine.

But i didn't find any proper conversion code in Incov() function to convert these two values in same format. I want to use the Datastage provided function to perform this task,because i feel by using Oracle supported function and using them in queries slightly taking more time during execution.

Thanks!!
IBM Websphere Datastage Certified Professional
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The ICONV for a date function will only use the date portion, so you should truncate the timestamp, i.e.

Code: Select all

ICONV(FIELD(In.TimestampColumn,' ',1),"D4/DMY[2,2,4]")
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And for the record, using TO_CHAR() in your source query has no time/performance penalty to speak of.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers