Job Run delayed

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abhishekachrekar
Participant

Job Run delayed

Post by abhishekachrekar »

Hi,

One of our sequence takes 1 hour to complete in production.
The sequence contains 3 jobs and 2 routines.

After investigating why it takes so long to complete, I saw that the sequence halts for half an hour after it finishes a routine and before calling the next job.

The sequence is run 5 times a day and in all the runs the same thing is observed. It halts for half an hour at the same area in all the runs.

I was thinking that it might be a server issue but the question (why it halts at the same point and for the same duration and in all the runs) is troubling me.

Has anyone encountered similar issue before?
Regards,
Abhishek
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Identify which UNIX process is running the sequence and, while it is "hanging" use the UNIX "truss" command to see what, if anything, it might be doing. This generates a lot of output, but important is to see if it is actually doing stuff (like seeks) or waiting (sleep).
abhishekachrekar
Participant

Post by abhishekachrekar »

Hi,

The issue is fixed now. The job whose call was delayed by half an hour had huge logs. Hence it was taking time to span it in the sequence.
Now we have cleared the logs of that job, reimported the job again and now the sequence finishes in less than a minute.

Thanks for the help ArndW.
Regards,
Abhishek