Resetting all sequences in a category

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Resetting all sequences in a category

Post by sbass1 »

Hi,

Say I have Project --> Jobs --> 00_Sequences category.

What I want is a job that will reset all jobs in that category. I can build this as a separate sequence job, but it's always out of sync as soon as new sequences are added.

In pseudocode:

* List all sequence jobs in 00_Sequences category
* For each job in list
* Reset
* Rinse and repeat

Has anyone written a job to do this? Yes, I'm looking for the silver platter, but am hoping there's a perfectly round wheel already invented.

Otherwise, an approach to use is most welcome.

Thanks,
Scott
Some people are the Michael Jordan's of Datastage. I'm more like Muggsy Bogues :-)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This post might be helpful. Add CATEGORY into the filter if you need to.

You should be able to build a job to dynamically pull an appropriate list of job names from the repository and then do whatever it is you need to do with them. Perhaps use a custom routine called for each row that takes the found job name, attaches to it and performs a DSPrepareJob. And lastly detaches the assigned handle.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If you compile all jobs in a category then same as reset. If what you want is to make sure all sequences run from start to finish.

It is pretty easy to take all the jobs in the select statement and reset them. You can do this in job control.
Mamu Kim
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

Hi Craig and Kim,

Craig's post led me to search on DSPrepare job, which led me to viewtopic.php?t=128186&highlight=dspreparejob.

My current approach:

ResetJob routine:

Code: Select all

$INCLUDE DSINCLUDE JOBCONTROL.H

JobName        = Trim(pJobName)
JobHandle      = DSAttachJob(JobName,DSJ.ERRFATAL)
JobHandle      = DSPrepareJob(JobHandle)
ErrCode        = DSWaitForJob(JobHandle)
ErrCode        = DSDetachJob(JobHandle)
Ans            = ErrCode
Then a server "wrapper" job:

Universe --> xfm --> Seq File (for debugging)
The Universe SQL is:

SELECT NAME, CATEGORY FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME NOT LIKE '\%' AND CATEGORY LIKE '#pCategory#%' AND NAME LIKE '#pJobName#%' 
The xfm staging variable ReturnCode:

If Jobs_List.NAME <> DSJobName Then ResetJob(Jobs_List.NAME) Else 0
(If there's a better way to keep the wrapper job from attaching to itself let me know, but this works)

The wrapper job has two parameters, pCategory and pJobName, which allow filtering of the jobs list. If blank then all jobs are selected.

I need to tweak the Universe SQL code to return more stuff, such as job type, but searching the forum should give me what I need.

Plus LOTS of great example code in ETLStats :D

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Scott
Some people are the Michael Jordan's of Datastage. I'm more like Muggsy Bogues :-)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Your question on "is there a better way" has a simple answer: no, not really. :wink:
-craig

sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

sbass1 wrote:I need to tweak the Universe SQL code to return more stuff, such as job type, but searching the forum should give me what I need.
As an FYI in case someone finds this on a search: This is my final Universe SQL code:

SELECT EVAL "FIELD('Server|Sequence|Mainframe|Parallel','|',JOBTYPE,1)" AS JOB_TYPE FMT '10L' COL.HDG 'Job Type', CATEGORY, NAME FMT '60T', READONLY COL.HDG 'ReadOnly', OLETYPE COL.HDG 'OLE Type', "DESC" FMT '60T', JOBNO COL.HDG 'Job#' FMT '4R', JOBID FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME NOT LIKE '\%' AND CATEGORY NOT LIKE 'ZZ_%' AND CATEGORY LIKE '#pCategory#%' AND NAME LIKE '#pJobName#%' AND JOB_TYPE LIKE '#pJobType#%';
The job parameters allow filtering of the job list. "View <Universe Stage Data link name>" from Designer allows testing of the job parameters before running the job.

(P.S.: We keep all our test/throwaway/junk jobs in a category ZZ_<suffix>)
Last edited by sbass1 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nice.

:idea: For any "pick list" type parameters, like would help with "JobType", suggest you create that as a List parameter type. You can set the default to "none" to force a choice at runtime.
-craig