MQ Series Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sshri
Participant

MQ Series Stage

Post by sshri »

Hi,
Can someone tell me if the MQ Series stage is available in Server edition by default? Because i dont have this stage in the UNIX but i do have that in the Windows version.
If it is available and we missed during installation, how do i get that installed?

Thanks in advance,
Shri
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's optional, so you need to select it during installation. If you missed it, you need to rerun the Server installation and go into "maintenance mode" to add any unselected ones.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

For version 8.0.1, the MQ client-only stage is installed by default in the Real Time pallette.
sshri
Participant

Post by sshri »

lstsaur wrote:For version 8.0.1, the MQ client-only stage is installed by default in the Real Time pallette.
I dont see the MQ Client only stage under the Real time palette.

Craig,
Can you explain how to run the installation on maintanence mode?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

lstsaur wrote:For version 8.0.1, the MQ client-only stage is installed by default in the Real Time pallette.
That seems to be true if the DataStage server is on Windows but not if the DataStage server is on AIX.
  • On AIX we get the WebSphere MQ Connector on the parallel jobs palette, but nothing on the server jobs palette.

On Windows we get WebSphere MQ in both job types plus WebSphere MQ Connector on the parallel jobs palette only.
All at 8.0.1.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I have no idea how / if this works in 8.x but for 7.x you simply rerun the installation script and when it finds the current version already installed it defaults to 'Maintenance Mode'. There you've got four or five choices from what I recall, one of which is (in essence) a way to just add/remove the optional plug-ins.

While I'm using 8.x now I've never installed it personally hence the unknown. Does anyone know how that all works nowadays?
-craig

lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Craig,
There is no more "Maintenance Mode" function for version 8.0. During the installation of version 8.0, you are given the options to either install MQ as the client or the server. It wouldn't even let you go to the next step if you don't select one of these two boxes if I recall correctly.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting... what about all of the other 'optional' plug-ins, are they no longer optional and you get all of them installed whether you have a need them or not? Probably the safest route for them to have taken.
-craig

lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Yes, all other 'optional' plug-ins get installed. Among them, Oracle is the only one that the installer will ask whether 9i or 10g to be installed.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Good to know, thanks. So, back to the original poster's dilemma... you're saying that it must be there somewhere and they just must not be looking in the right place, yes?
-craig

JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

For Server jobs only the old MQ stage ( Plug-in ) is available. The new MQ connector stage is only available for Parallel jobs ...
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
sshri
Participant

Post by sshri »

JRodriguez wrote:For Server jobs only the old MQ stage ( Plug-in ) is available. The new MQ connector stage is only available for Parallel jobs ...
When you say that 8.0.1 Server Edition has old MQ stage, do you mean you can use only as Server Connection mode?
We don't have MQ Server installed in the same machine as Datastage. In that case, can we connect to MQ without the MQ Connector?

Thanks
Shri
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

In IIS 8.x the Plug-In stage is available for server and parallel jobs. The new Connector stage is only available for Parallel jobs

So if you are developing server jobs then your only option is the Plug-in .... regardless the connection mode

I recall a couple of presentation from IOD 2008 that specifically mentioned that both server and client mode are available in IIS 8.x, but I didn't test this functionality yet, we have MQ and ETL hosted in same server

So give a try and post a definite answer in behalf of others
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

You are prompted at install time whether you want "Server" or "Client" version of the MQStage...this refers to whether you will be getting a plugin that supports the MQServer API, or one that supports the MQ Client API ...it is only an issue for Server Jobs..for Server Jobs you must select the "type" of MQ API you want at install time...... the MQConnector in EE Jobs can do either.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>