Abnormal termination of stage -Transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

47shailesh
Participant

Post by 47shailesh »

ArndW wrote:In order to analyze the core you need to understand how an executable program is built together and how runtime memory allocation and processing functions. The dbx program is usually used to do this (it is free with UNIX but not always installed) along with the actual executable that cause the core. While you can do a stack trace and see what is on the top of the stack it takes some practice (and patience) to track down core dumps.
thanks ArndW. This is the first time I am using dbx. Can you elaborate more on dbx usage.
I've dbx installed on our AIX and I have the core file.
I started with 'dbx - core' it says
$ dbx - core
Type 'help' for help.
Core file "core" program "uvsh" does not match current program (ignored)
warning: cannot execute core
reading symbolic information ...
(dbx) ...
I have already given execute permission on core file.
Few commands and pointers will be helpful for me to start debugging
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You need to do a "dbx $DSHOME/bin/uvsh core" but the dbx environment is complex and there is little you can see while debugging without knowing what you are looking for. I recommend you use the help facility and do a stack trace and see if the stack element names give you a clue as to what portion of code might have cause the error.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ugh. You should have just said 'no' - this really needs to be done either by or under the direction of a very knowledgeable support person.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I agree; at first I thought I should check up on the syntax that I usually use and post an example, then realized that it was too much work both to write and later to do the remote analysis of a stack and in the end it would go to IBM support anyway. But playing with dbx, particularly with a small program that one has written, can be very informative and certainly more entertaining than most current U.S. TV shows.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Watching paint dry can be more entertaining than most current U.S. TV shows.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.