Can't shutdown DataStage server as 'dsadm' user

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Can't shutdown DataStage server as 'dsadm' user

Post by tonystark622 »

Hi everyone,

I'm building 2 new servers for v8.1 DataStage. My development server is up and running ok. I'm building my production server now and have run into an issue... I can't shutdown the DataStage server when logged in as the 'dsadm' user.

I think if I can understand how the 'dsadm' user is able to execute the 'ds.rc' script file to do the shutdown, I'll be ok, but I can't get anyone to give me a satisfactory explanation... including IBM Support.

I login as my 'dsadm' user. cd to the DSEngine directory. "Source" the dsenv file then try to shutdown the Datastage server (./bin/uv -admin -stop). I get the error "/bin/sh: : 0403-016 Cannot find or open the file.".

The ./bin/uv file owner and permissions are the same as on my development server:
-rwsr-x--x 1 root dstgescm 64492 Oct 14 2008 ./bin/uv

The ./sample/ds.rc file owner and permissions are the same as on my development server:
-r-x------ 1 root system 16892 Jun 26 10:27 ./sample/ds.rc

What I think is that because the ./bin/uv file has the 's' bit set in the execute position of the owner's permissions that the ./bin/uv script assumes the owner's identity when it is executed. Because ./bin/uv is owned by root, the file should be executed with root privileges. Because of the r-x in the group permissions of the ./bin/uv file, any member of the dstage group (dstgescm here) should be able to execute the ./bin/uv file. When the ./bin/uv file, which is owned by root and only has execute permission by root, executes the ./sample/ds.rc file, it _should_ be able to do so because ./bin/uv is executing with root privileges. However, this is where I get the error. The IBM Support person had me execute the ./bin/uv command with truss and captured the output. She said the truss file is showing that I don't have permission to execute the ./sample/ds.rc file.

My sysadmins and the IBM Support folks haven't been able to figure this out.

I would appreciate any help that I can get solving this issue, as I hesitate to proceed in configuring my production server until this matter is resolved.

Thanks again for your time and consideration,
Tony
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What happens when you just execute "./bin/uv" from the $DSHOME directory? (use "QUIT" to exit TCL if successful). What happens if you copy the "uv" executable and, with 777 permissions to the copy, execute it?
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Hi Arndw,

When I run ./bin/uv it goes to the > prompt (DataStage shell).

I copied uv to uv1... The owner on uv = root. The owner on uv1 = dsadescm (my dsadm user). I changed the permissions to rwxrwxrwx. When I ran it, I got the same error as when I run the 'uv' command "Cannot find or open the file". I presume that was because the uv1 file is owned by dsadescm and not root like the uv file is.

Hope this helps,
Tony
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't really understand what "file" it is referring to. :?

Here is the kind of thing I was finding online, but it doesn't seem applicable:

http://zotline.com/shownote.zot/NoteNum/2738.html
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

According to the IBM Support person, the truss.out file shows that ./bin/uv was trying to access the ./sample/ds.rc file:

454776: accessx("sample/ds.rc", 01, 0)

Apparently this happened right before the error message:

accessx("sample/ds.rc", 01, 0) Err#13 EACCES

Dunno if this helps any...

Thanks, Tony
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

OK. This issue has been resolved.

I installed DataStage v8.1 in the /appl directory (/appl/datastage/v8_1). The /appl directory had a logical volume mounted on it. It was mounted with "suid" = no or false or something like that.

We stopped DataStage and my sysadmin logged on as root, unmounted the volume on /appl and modified the mount table, enabling suid. Then she remounted the logical volume on /appl. This fixed it.

Hope nobody else runs into this.

Tony
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... thanks for posting the resolution Tony. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

You're welcome, Craig. That's what makes this place work...