Job validates but not runs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

senthilmp
Participant

Job validates but not runs

Post by senthilmp »

Hi,

i have sets of jobs being called through a sequence, in these sequence out of 10 jobs only 2 jobs are running fine and other jobs are just validating even if the execution action is Reset if Required, Then Run.

Pls help me out in order to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Senthil
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Are you 100% certain that in the Job Activity stage you don't have "validate" set and that you've recompiled the sequence since making any changes?
senthilmp
Participant

Post by senthilmp »

Yes, am sure that i re compiled the sequence..
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

try "save as" of your job sequence under a completely different name, compiling and running it - do you get the same problem?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

senthilmp wrote:Yes, am sure that i re compiled the sequence..
Even if you set the Job activities to "Validate" as the run mode the sequence will compile. Please answer Arnd's actual question.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
senthilmp
Participant

Post by senthilmp »

ray.wurlod wrote:
senthilmp wrote:Yes, am sure that i re compiled the sequence..
Even if you set the Job activities to "Validate" as the run mode the sequence will compile. Please answer Arnd's actual ques ...
The job activity set is having Reset If Require,then Run only.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Every job activity?

Please post the entry from the sequence's log "summary of sequence run".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I really don't see how this would be possible. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

My guess was that the wrong sequence is being called, which is why I suggested creating a copy and running that. I agree with Craig, I don't see how a normal run call to DSExecute could generate a validation run.
senthilmp
Participant

Post by senthilmp »

CTCTypeSeq..JobControl (@Coordinator): Summary of sequence run
04:25:34: Sequence started (checkpointing on)
04:25:34: Start_date (JOB EdwSQLStatement.EdwSqlStatements_EcomPricing_getLastRunDate) started
04:25:34: Start_date (JOB EdwSQLStatement.EdwSqlStatements_EcomPricing_getLastRunDate) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:25:34: Type1 (JOB Type1FixedPriceCTCJob) started
04:25:34: Type1 (JOB Type1FixedPriceCTCJob) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:25:35: Type2Type3 (JOB Type2andType3Seq) started
04:25:57: Type2Type3 (JOB Type2andType3Seq) finished, status=1 [Finished OK]
04:25:57: Type2Current (JOB Type2CurrentCountryPricelistsJob) started
04:25:57: Type2Current (JOB Type2CurrentCountryPricelistsJob) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:25:58: Type3Current (JOB Type3CurrentGlobalPricelistsJob) started
04:25:58: Type3Current (JOB Type3CurrentGlobalPricelistsJob) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:25:58: Type4 (JOB Type4CTCDiscountsStandardJob) started
04:25:58: Type4 (JOB Type4CTCDiscountsStandardJob) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:25:59: Type4Campaign (JOB Type4CTCDiscountsCampaignJob) started
04:25:59: Type4Campaign (JOB Type4CTCDiscountsCampaignJob) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:26:00: Type5 (JOB Type5OrderGroupDiscountsCampaignJob) started
04:26:00: Type5 (JOB Type5OrderGroupDiscountsCampaignJob) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:26:00: Campaign_ChangeJob (JOB Z_Campaign_ChangeJob) started
04:26:01: Campaign_ChangeJob (JOB Z_Campaign_ChangeJob) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:26:02: Campaign_NewJob (JOB Z_Campaign_NewJob) started
04:26:02: Campaign_NewJob (JOB Z_Campaign_NewJob) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:26:02: EcomPricingLastRuntimeJob (JOB EcomPricingLastRuntimeJob) started
04:26:03: EcomPricingLastRuntimeJob (JOB EcomPricingLastRuntimeJob) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:26:03: edw_batch_update_ods (JOB EdwUpdateBatchDatesODSJob.edw_batch_update_EcomPricing) started
04:26:03: edw_batch_update_ods (JOB EdwUpdateBatchDatesODSJob.edw_batch_update_EcomPricing) finished, status=11 [Validated OK]
04:26:03: Split_Files (COMMAND /data/datastage/Data/EMEA/TargetFiles/ECOMMERCE/PRICING/SplitFiles.sh) started
04:26:04: Split_Files finished, reply=0
04:26:04: Convert_Tmp_to_Txt (COMMAND /data/datastage/Data/EMEA/TargetFiles/ECOMMERCE/PRICING/Convert_txt.sh) started
04:26:04: Convert_Tmp_to_Txt finished, reply=0
04:26:04: Sequence finished OK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Was the sequence originally set to Validate Only and you changed it? If so, are you positive it now says Run and that you've compiled the sequence job? And that you're running the same one you are looking at? :?
-craig

senthilmp
Participant

Post by senthilmp »

Yes, first some jobs in the sequence was set to Validate and then i change those to Reset if Require, Then Run, Compile Each and every Job and also the Sequence.

After compiling and Running also the jobs are validating. I was able to resolve the issue as stated by one of the Replies from ArndW

'try "save as" of your job sequence under a completely different name, compiling and running it '

But am trying to know why it was not happening to the original sequence itself.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would guess some kind of permissions issue, something that was preventing the executables from being regenerated by the compiler, so you were technically still running the old version.
-craig

senthilmp
Participant

Post by senthilmp »

Ok, Thanks for all your replies.

I have recreated the sequence with different name and ran, it works fine. I see with the same name of Sequence the Job is not running properly.

Thanks once again for your replies, Am marking this as Resolved now.