NULL replace with junk and empty string

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abha.kalra
Participant

NULL replace with junk and empty string

Post by abha.kalra »

Hi
I am inserting teradata table using ODBC stage ( used b'se of performance reasons)

while loading the NULL values it is being replace by junk and empty string.

in the derivation I am doing following

1. the column data typeVarchar and the derivation on the insert transformer is @null -- in database it is getting replaced by empty string

2. another column has source data type as char , while inserting the datatype is varchar.
derivation of the column is ISnull(colname) then @NULL else coluname , all the null values are replace by junk values.
Any thought on where why this is happening. I can't change the ODBC stage to teradataAPI stage.
Thanks and Regards
Abha
shershahkhan
Participant

Post by shershahkhan »

Check what is set for APT_PADCHAR at the project level
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

What do you mean by 'junk' value? Is there any pattern or is it constant value? Is there any default in the column?

What if you also map it to a sequential file?

Btw, the question is marked for server and hence APT_PADCHAR may not be the reason.
hamzaqk
Participant

Post by hamzaqk »

How are you checking the data in TD ? if your using the SQL assistant you can set the options in the SQL assistant on how to display NULL's. i think yours might be set to empty string maybe? Is the data coming through ok as this does not seem to be a problem with the job itself and TD.
Teradata Certified Master V2R5