Unable to delete or rename a job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

2ksaint
Participant

Unable to delete or rename a job

Post by 2ksaint »

Hi,

As our log folder storage got full, we removed some log files like...
RT_Config3032...

Now whenever we open a job, we are getting error that "job executable file RT_CONFIG3032 not found".

So we thought of exporting the job from other environment and importing to dev environment, but while importing it says that it is not able to find the executable file..

What can be the solution, either to remove or rename to other name.

Is there any way were we can restore the files that are deleted through unix commands?So that we can restore the files...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is exactly why we always state that you should never remove files from the OS level! The name "Config" should have been a warning - it is not a log file but a necessary configuration file.

From the OS level, the RT_CONFIGnnnn files are subdirectories. Copy another RT_CONFIGnnn (any one will do) to RT_CONFIG3032 and then delete the job.

At a guess, all jobs where you deleted the RT_CONFIGnnnn files are corrupt.

What other files did you delete? You might have a completely corrupted project.
Last edited by ArndW on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2ksaint
Participant

Post by 2ksaint »

But we thought that this takes more storage space, thats why we deleted it. Is there any other way that we can resolve the issue. Please help on this regards.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

NEVER delete DataStage files from UNIX unless you know exactly what you are doing. If you had deleted the job correctly, from the Designer or Director, it would have freed the disk space and you would not have any problems now.

What happened when you tried my suggestion?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have export/backup of the project? That's about the only way you're going to recover.

Search the forum for ways to regain disk space, such as purging job logs and clearing old entries from &PH& directories in the project.

Can you make the file system or quota larger? If not, move some jobs to a different project on a different file system.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
2ksaint
Participant

Post by 2ksaint »

Thanks ray & Arndw.

I tried to resolve the issue. What i did was taking the same RT_Config, status, bo folder and files and rename to the numbers which i get while opening the job and replaced those folders to the log folder.

so what happened was, I'am able to rename the job,export and import the job from other environment to my environment and I am even able to recopy the job.

Now i got the job and im able to compile and run without any issues.

Thanks Ray & Arndw
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

2ksaint wrote:without any issues.
Except that you still have no idea of the potential catastrophe you avoided. That what you did worked is pure luck - it can not be guaranteed to work in all cases.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
2ksaint
Participant

Post by 2ksaint »

Yes, it is a luck. What i learnt is "Do not remove any of the log files from the log folder".
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The lesson should be "do not remove any files from a shell". Otherwise you might decide that you don't need that file called "VOC" or that all those RT_CONFIGnnnn are useless and then you will really become unhappy. :shock: