Range lookup issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastagequestions
Participant

Post by datastagequestions »

The SQL statement on the reference link is : Select id,eff_date,Term_date,name from lookup where id=? and ? between eff_date & term_date.
ray.wurlod wrote:OK, three keys, and therefore three comparisons in the lookup SQL.

Please post the SQL statement on the reference link. ...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And the value for the second ? comes from what column? You must mark as keys all columns in the where clause and select all columns defined in the stage in the proper order, including the keys.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
datastagequestions
Participant

Post by datastagequestions »

That's where I think my logic is not working. I don't know if I should add one more condition in Reference where clause like :

where id=? and ? between eff_date and term_Date and ? between eff_date & term_date because my both srce.columns are checking for the dates to be in between Reference dates.

Like : Srce.eff_Date between Lkup.eff_date & term_date and
Srce.term_Date between Lkup.eff_Date & term_date

I am having hard time putting this logic to work. Its easier if there is one input column to match between Lookup date columns. Here we have 2 source columns to match with Lookup dates columns.
chulett wrote:And the value for the second ? comes from what column? You must mark as keys all columns in the where clause and select all columns defined in the stage in the proper order ...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Regardless of your query logic, you must follow the lookup rules:

1) Every column used in the 'where' must be marked as a key.
2) ? bind variables are positional so order your keys to match.
3) All columns defined in the stage must be selected in your SQL.

Ancillary rule:

4) If you need to use a key value twice in the lookup SQL, you must define two key columns and put the same value in both. Three times? Three key columns. Etc.

Note that #2 and #4 do not apply to the OCI stage as it uses numbered parameter markers.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers