When should we get a new server?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ORACLE_1
Premium Member
Premium Member

When should we get a new server?

Post by ORACLE_1 »

Hey All ,

In one of our clients implementations of customized Data warehouse / integration , we have kind of reached a level where every half an hour there is some or the other ETL running and populating the Database. Also its shared with other teams and hence we have other ETLs as well running on this box.
As per my experience I think its time to buy another server exclusively for our purposes , but i will like to know from you gurus that what actually decides to go for another server , what reasons are valid to justify this purchase etc.. Any other options feedbacks or customer stories that we have for the same situation !

Thanks for you inputs !

*Note - Title made more descriptive - Content Editor*
ORACLE_1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ORACLE_1 »

Any Inputs at all?

No one has more than one server for ETL at the client location?

Thanks
Deepak
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We have multiple servers. The ODS is considered critical so it has its own server now. I wish we had a grid instead.
Mamu Kim
ORACLE_1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ORACLE_1 »

So what actually made you decide you need multiple servers? Was it the data frequency , volume etc , how did you approach to get more? Any feedbacks , pointers?
kduke wrote:We have multiple servers. The ODS is considered critical so it has its own server now. I wish we had a grid instead.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Data volume. The other projects could overwelm the server when they kicked off. ODS was more critical. EDW jobs were batch and could be restarted easily. ODS is near real time and needed to run continuously.

I still think a grid is more flexible and adaptable to either real time or batch.
Mamu Kim
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Most of my recent sites have been blade-type servers. We just pop in another blade to add CPU / memory.

Most of my sites have dedicated DataStage servers. Once the other applications realize what a resource hog it is, they quickly depart for better servers!
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020