Datastage 7.5.2 Linux Install

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

itcconsulting
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage 7.5.2 Linux Install

Post by itcconsulting »

We are in the process of planning an install of DataStage 7.5.2 on Linux. The Hardware/Software requirements from the IBM site is below:

Software
-------------
Redhat enterprise ASE 2.1
gcc 3.23
TCP/IP protocol configured between client accesses

Hardware
-------------
512 MB RAM (Recommend 1 GB); 600 MB disk space

Redhat Enterprise ASE 2.1 is fairly old. Is DataStage 7.5.2 certified on newer Linux platforms (i.e. Redhat 4 or 5)?

Also has anyone compared performance between a Windows and Linux deployment of DataStage? Should I expect any significant performance gains (all HW configuration being the same) on the Linux platform?
Byron
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

The release of Redhat is very old because that release of DataStage is very old. IBM doesn't recertify old software on newer O/S releases.

I would suggest instead looking at upgrading to 7.5.3 since it came out this year and it is available on more releases of Linux, specifically:
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 3.0
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 4.0
    SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9
    SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 10
This link shows you the additional 242 bugs that are fixed in 7.5.3 - viewtopic.php?t=116154

I can't say what kind of performance change you'd see switching from Windows to Linux since anytime I've done it, I've been upgrading hardware. I can say that you might want to look at some previous posts in the forums regarding some of the work that has to be done in switching operating systems - it isn't trivial if you are porting a large number of jobs.

Here's another great link from Vincent's blog that discusses the release in detail:

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/infosphere/ ... tage-22837
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020