Diff between Websphere DataStage and Infosphere DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reddysrc
Participant

Diff between Websphere DataStage and Infosphere DataStage

Post by reddysrc »

Hi Experts,

What is the difference between IBM Websphere DataStage 8.X and Infosphere DataStage.

i heard new version 8.x running on Websphere, but i don't know what's Infosphere DataStage.

Could you explain me more about this diff.

Thanks
Dev
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's all marketing, don't worry about it.

When IBM acquired DataStage and other products from Ascential, the products were included within IBM's WebSphere brand for middleware.

By the time IBM had worked on version 8.1 for long enough they decided it didn't really fit under WebSphere, so created a new brand called InfoSphere.

That's all there is, there ain't no more.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please delete duplicate post and advise what the workaround is.

*Note - duplicate post (and your link to it) deleted - Content Editor*
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The data integration suite is now under the InfoSphere brand so it's InfoSphere DataStage, InfoSphere QualityStage etc. The browser based tools in the suite such as Information Server Admin, Information Analyzer, FastTrack and Metadata Workbench all run on the WebSphere Application Server that comes bundled with Information Server. So while it is an InfoSphere product it requires a copy of WebSphere Application Server to run and it needs the specific version bundled with the product.

For a few years after the Ascential acquisition IBM was referring to all the tools in the suite as WebSphere branded tools - that's where the old references to WebSphere DataStage come from. The InfoSphere brand is relatively new and includes a lot of BI/DW products like DataStage, Cognos and DB2 Warehouse.