Allow multiple instance impact on job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kaushal.kumar@igate.com
Participant

Allow multiple instance impact on job

Post by kaushal.kumar@igate.com »

hai in data stage we have option like "Allow multiple instance".If i will click on this button and subsequently suppose if we try to run a job which is in running stage ,and if we have a file as a intermediate stage in job.how it will make impact on the job.

please let me know about the impacts on job in this situation.

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The Director online help has good information on Multi-Instance options. Biggest thing is the job needs to be designed with MI support in mind, particularly how resources are shared (or not).
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does "hai" at the beginning of your question mean that you understand?

The operating system only allows one writer at a time to a file. Given that fact, you can figure out the answer to your question.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kaushal.kumar@igate.com
Participant

Post by kaushal.kumar@igate.com »

chulett wrote:The Director online help has good information on Multi-Instance options. Biggest thing is the job needs to be designed with MI support in mind, particularly how resources are shared (or ...
If intermediate stage has a sequential file(buffer),i/p and o/p is OLDEB stage,and we are trying to run the job whose status is running.In this case what will be the impact.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Failure. You can't run a job whose status is 'Running'.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sun rays
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by sun rays »

ray.wurlod wrote:Does "hai" at the beginning of your question mean that you understand?

The operating system only allows one writer at a time to a file. Given that fact, you can figure out the answer to your question.
Use "DSJobInvocationId" as part of the file name, that way your job can run in multiple instances simultaneously.