Use of Datastage over BW

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajesh123460
Participant

Use of Datastage over BW

Post by rajesh123460 »

Hi All,

What is the use of datastage?

If an organization uses BW, is there any need to use datastage?

please give me the information about it. It's really usefull for me.

Thanks,
Rajesh.
mayank_tyagi
Participant

Post by mayank_tyagi »

Hi Rajesh,
Definitely Datastage is better in terms of ETL and the process is quite fast and easier in Datastage being a GUI based tool as compared to BW. Generally BW has so many issues with the data loads & volume of the data but Datastage is capable of answering all these issues. In BW transformations are done using ABAP codes but in Datastage these can directly be in the transformation stages and filtering of data and lookups are very easy to implemt and there are so many other advantages as well.
In SAP projects mostly Datastage is used where data comes from hetrogeneous systems. Datastage is used to extract and cleanse the data and from these systems and provides the correct data in a staging area before it can be processed by BW.
Although this can be done by BW as well but if you think from the performance, ease of development, maintenance & integration perspective having datastage in between is beneficial.
Hope you find it useful.
Thanks & Regards
Mayank.
rajesh123460
Participant

Post by rajesh123460 »

mayank_tyagi wrote:Hi Rajesh,
Definitely Datastage is better in terms of ETL and the process is quite fast and easier in Datastage being a GUI based tool as compared to BW. Generally BW has so many issues with the data loads & volume of the data but Datastage is capable of answering all these issues. In BW transformations are done using ABAP codes but in Datastage these can directly be in the transformation stages and filtering of data and lookups are very easy to implemt and there are so many other advantages as well.
In SAP projects mostly Datastage is used where data comes from hetrogeneous systems. Datastage is used to extract and cleanse the data and from these systems and provides the correct data in a staging area before it can be processed by BW.
Although this can be done by BW as well but if you think from the performance, ease of development, maintenance & integration perspective having datastage in between is beneficial.
Hope you find it useful.

Thank you very much mayank,

I really got a valuable information from you, Can you give me more information about datastage and BW. or please suggest a good site for this.

Thanks,
Rajesh.