Debug - Aborting for one user but not another

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ecclesr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Debug - Aborting for one user but not another

Post by ecclesr »

Hi

One of our developers - every time they add break points and run debug sessions their jobs abort.

Yesterday I ran debug for a job that the developer had previously tried to debug with same break point - their debug session aborted , my was able to be debugged without issue.

The developer is losing her confidence and avoids using debug

Has anyone had this similar situation - is there a reason for this

Thanking you all in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First suggestion would be for the person with the issue to reinstall the client software and see if that helps.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is a known bug in 7.1 and later. Alas I don't have the ecase number, nor can I recall the particular circumstances under which it occurs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ecclesr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ecclesr »

Thank you for your replies.

The developer in question has in the last month re install her DS client and reports that the issue with debug was present before and after the client was re installed.

Knowning that an ecase exists for this issue has renewed some of her faith
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

Hi,

I too got issue many time with debuging tool. I felt debuging tool is not much flexible in datastage. So i started my own way to degug job. By using constarint condition and sequential file. So i suggest dont let her lose her confidence try to find new way if wont work for us.

Thanks,
--Anupam
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Another suggestion would be to always debug from a 'fresh' Designer session. I've had intermittent issues if I've been working with a job or several jobs for a period of time in a Designer session and then attempt to debug. It usually results in a crash or the more typical abort with the 'debugging client has disconnected' error.

I've found that if I start a new Designer session and then open and debug a job before doing enything else in that session it generally goes much much better. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

Bump...

Does anyone know if IBM have issued a hotfix for this bug? I run into this issue ALL the time.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Close the job, re-open it, re-compile with your breakpoints enabled. If you're really paranoid, close and re-open it again and you probably won't get "debugger client has disconnected" aborts.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

Thanks for the Ray. But, as I saw you say in another post, this is a workaround, not a fix.

So, have IBM fixed this bug? Is it still an issue in 8.x?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have experienced it in 8.1.