Empty DSN Windows SQL 2005 Server - cannot see ODBC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sjohnston
Participant

Empty DSN Windows SQL 2005 Server - cannot see ODBC

Post by sjohnston »

Hi All,

I have seen multiple psots regarding this issue but I still cannot got a connection to my ODBC's.

I migrated a project from a SQL 2000 box running DataStage 7.5.1 to a new Windows SQL Server 2005 box running a new install of DataStage 7.5.2. I have recreated my variables and migrated and imported my Project from the other server. I recreated my ODBC connections with the new SQL 2005 SNAC driver. I also updated by uvodbc.config file, as many posts have mentioned, with my ODBC's. I updated this in my Project directory as well as my Engine directory. I have restarted Services and logged in and out of Designer.

I continue to receive this message:

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

and

Unable to connect to database server 'ODBC Name'.

And when I try to Import Table definitions from ODBC I get this:

Empty DSN: list returned from host <Servername>

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

Usually this message means that the DSN has not been mentioned in the project's uvodbc.config file. But you say you updated this. Did you create the DSN as a system or file DSN? DataStage can not use user DSNs.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sjohnston
Participant

Post by sjohnston »

Thanks Ray. I have updated the uvodbc.config and they are entered as a System DSN. Unfortunately, I am not a full member so the rest of you message was cut off.

Can you email me your response?

Steve
sjohnston@sierrawireless.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You would only have missed a word or two, so I removed the premium status.

Premium membership is one of the ways in which the hosting and bandwidth costs incurred by DSXchange are defrayed. For this reason I do not wish to create any precedent of undermining that mechanism - in particular I respond only negatively to requests to send "entire" answers.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sjohnston
Participant

Post by sjohnston »

Understood Ray. And I did not mean to try and undermine what you guys are doing here. I appreciate the help. I was not aware that posts that we made were also under the same restrictions as viewing others posts.

It is very weird. I have installed DataStage a few times over the years on different boxes and I have never had this problem. I must be missing something...

This is a Windows Server...does it even read the uvodbc.config? I thought it read only from the System DSN. I also don't seem to have a .odbc.ini. Should I on a Windows install? Lastly, I don't have a DSHome Environment Variable...do I need a path to the Ascential\DataStage directory? I do have a DSPackagePath variable.

Steve
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, .odbc.ini is also UNIX only. On Windows the ODBCINI Registry entry is read. Likewise $DSHOME can be found from the Registry.

The uvodbc.config file in the project is there to filter which DSNs are visible from that particular project (and, by elimination, which ones are not).
sjohnston
Participant

Post by sjohnston »

Are there different or new ODBC drivers for SQL 2005? Could it have somethin to do with my OS being Windows 2003 64 bit?
sjohnston
Participant

Post by sjohnston »

Sorry, to be more clear I am using the DRS Stage for loading data as well. Not the native ODBC Stage load.
Tatiana
Participant

Post by Tatiana »

sjohnston wrote:Are there different or new ODBC drivers for SQL 2005? Could it have somethin to do with my OS being Windows 2003 64 bit?
DS is not certified to work with 64 bit systems. However, you might be able to create odbc in c:\WINNT\SysWOW64. You might want to change your OS to be 32 bit.
Lyes
Participant

Post by Lyes »