SERIOUS DESIGN PERFORMANCE ISSUES - WINDOWS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

the first thing comes in my mind is where the server is located?

is it far from the location of client?
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

DS 8 eats your client PC's memory.

Close ALL other memory consuming process (e.g virus scanner, windows updates) and you will see SOME difference.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

DS 8 eats your client PC's memory.

Close ALL other memory consuming process (e.g virus scanner, windows updates) and you will see SOME difference.
mekrreddy
Participant

Post by mekrreddy »

Check the system requirements for Windows, Information server works only with max 4gb RAM and 32 bit OS in Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition. Does not support 8GB and 64 bit OS for Windows 2003 Standard, but supports 8gb with Windows 2003 server 32 bit Enterprise Edition. This could fix the issues.
Last edited by mekrreddy on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

@Sainath.Srinivasan

By closing all those things may give a bit difference but only a bit because I am currently running 3 instances of designer, 3 instances of director and other database clients. In addition to that the virus scanner is active. The memory I have is less than recomended i.e. 1 GB. but it runs fine. Sometimes I face problems but they have 2 GB on their client machine.

Yes the client consumes a lot of memory but it looks like a network delay problem to me and another reason may be the delay due to to many processes on CPU (congested) increasing the time to respond on requests from client.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In addition to the above, lose any wallpaper/screensaver you have on the server and the client, particularly animated ones.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
akitsios
Participant

Post by akitsios »

Thank you everybody for your response and suggestions.
We do not have active wallpapers or virus software on the clients and the server is a dedicated one. I will check though the suggestion about the 32 and 64 windows platform. Also we have configured the network cards at 100Mb full.

Our next course of action is to patch the clients with a patch provided by the IBM support team. If that fails too, I do not know. Has any of you ever tried to increase DB2 parameters, like heap size or anything else? Tinkering with the XMETA database?
mekrreddy
Participant

Post by mekrreddy »

Were you able to figure out the issue?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have seen DataStage saturate 100Mb networks. The solution in that case was to go with fibre-optic, at least between servers. Network cards for fibre-optic cables are surprisingly inexpensive. But you might also use, say, a 1Gb copper cable network.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
akitsios
Participant

Post by akitsios »

unfortunately we weren't able to solve any of our problems...
the patches only contributed in making the errors we now get more 'exotic' !
;-(

We are currently moving our stage db in another database and we are seriously thinking of upgrading in version 8.1 where you can configure the datastage environment to use file system repository...