Use of "in" in Stage Variables

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Dsnew
Participant

Use of "in" in Stage Variables

Post by Dsnew »

Hello all,

Is there a way to replace "IN" statement without using "OR" multiple times while creating a derivation for a stage variable?

Eq: If I have to use a Job parameter "JobP" which has a value of ('AAA',BBB','CCC','DDD') which I use in my source query, I would like to move it to the Stage variable derivation - I currently use:

Code: Select all

ColumnName.Field = 'AAA' or ColumnName.Field = 'BBB' or ColumnName.Field = 'CCC' or ColumnName.Field = 'DDD'
In other works how do we implement "IN" in the Stage Variable.

Appreciate any help.
samplify
Participant

I am Afraid!

Post by samplify »

Well, DS does not support the use of IN statement (the SQL one)
however you could use regular expression and a decent text editor to convert your lengthy IN based statements to DS ORs.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

One 'trick' is to build your delimited list in the Initial Value of a stage variable and leave the Derivation blank (so it is only evaluated once) and then use the Index function to check for your value in that list of values. For example:

svValidValues: AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD
Or you could even use your job parameter value directly. Then your Index check, which returns the starting position of the substring within the string, can rely on the fact that while a 0 value equates to 'false', any non-zero value equates to 'true' in Server:

If Index(svValidValues,ColumnName.Field,1) Then (true expression) Else (false expression)
This only gets a little tricky if there is any 'overlap' between field values or your incoming field could be a subset of a valid value, meaning where one value can be found inside another value. For example, an incoming value of 'AA' would be reported as a match to 'AAA'. For that you would need to extend the delimiters to the ends of the value list and then include the enclosing delimiters in the check:

svValidValues: ,AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD,

If Index(svValidValues,",":ColumnName.Field:",",1) Then (true expression) Else (false expression)
To turn your current parameter value into such a list, you could do that with Convert:

svValidValues:  Convert("()",",,",JobP)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers