Multiple Instance or Multiple jobs?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SBSA_DW2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Multiple Instance or Multiple jobs?

Post by SBSA_DW2 »

Hi Guys

I have a series of files that can be processed using 1 job that accepts parameters - i.e. a multiple instance job.

Does it make a difference to performance if i have 1 multiple instance job that is invoked many times or is it better to have multiple jobs that are copies of each other?

I suspect this to be much of a muchness.. but one would never know until sure.

Thanks!
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Performance = no difference. Maintenance = big difference.

Mike
mk_ds09
Participant

Post by mk_ds09 »

Yep. Maintainace is one of the things..

However basic thing in any kind of software development is to create the reusable componets... 'Why to re-invent the wheel' that is what they call it !

Anyways in this case if you say there are 1000 files that you want to process..is that the correct apporach to create 1000 same jobs for the same purpose ?..definately the answer is 'No'..

On the performance wise also, when you checks 'Multiple instance' , the same job can run the simultanously for all the instance.

------------------

Hope this helps

------------------

MK
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If the job can be run as a multi-instance one then do so; it makes maintenance a lot easier. Some jobs, notably those with output stages that cannot be written to concurrently (i.e. sequential files), do not lend themselves to parallel runs.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Multiple Instance or Multiple jobs?

Post by chulett »

SBSA_DW2 wrote:or is it better to have multiple jobs that are copies of each other?
I can't think of any situation where that would be better.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers