Write speed to seq file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Write speed to seq file

Post by snassimr »

Hi , everybody .

How I can speed up the writing to seq file . I am sure that botlneck in writing to seq file . I am get about 3500 rows/sec.

Some programming tricks ?
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

search for interprocess / inprocess / row buffering.
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by snassimr »

I have already tried . I get 5-7 % improvement . May be anybody use some definitions inside SEQ FILE stage ?
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Faster disk hardware... rows/sec is a meaningless metric... how many MB/sec are you writing?

Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Write speed to seq file

Post by chulett »

snassimr wrote:I am sure that botlneck in writing to seq file . I am get about 3500 rows/sec.
What makes you so sure? No, there's no "trick" and I sincerely doubt the "bottleneck" is your sequential write speed unless you are writing to some crap disks or the underlying filesystem is very busy. Ask your SysAdmin about both points, they will either know or monitor that for you.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

I guess 3500rows/sec is good as well. ;)
Kandy

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are no programming tricks - the Sequential File stage already uses the STREAMS I/O module.

What else is happening? Are you getting contention on the disk, so that the heads keep being moved away from this file? Try a test where the file is the only thing being accessed on its spindle (an ideal situation, to be sure, but an interesting test) - however, this may not be possible on a storage array network (SAN).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
crouse
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by crouse »

Just to humor us, can you have your seq file stage write to the file /dev/null? And then are you still getting 3500 rps? If so, then your disk is the "problem". If greater than 3500 rps, then the problem is elsewhere.
Craig Rouse
Griffin Resouces, Inc
www.griffinresources.com