NLS mapping problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

saikrishna
Participant

NLS mapping problem

Post by saikrishna »

Hi

We recently changed NLS mapping from ISO8859-1 to UTF8. We were done this to have all the international characters as specified in UTF8 to show in the table correctly.

Because of this change, the following job behaving differently

SEQ FILE -> TFM -> TABLE

Earlier
All the records were loading to the table. But showing some weird characters in the table for some records.

NOW
Some of the records are not loading to the table.. showing that as NLS mapping error as follows:

load_stgf_msgr_imv_d_max..feed_msgr_imv_d.feed_msgr_imv_d: nls_map_buffer_in() - NLS mapping error, row 13804 (approx), row = "us6.000VNh?nh n?y d?p qu? co ph?i kh?ng h?u: http://vietgiaitri.com/ind100000010000011"

Can any one please help us in finding the solution to this problem...

thanks
Sai
saikrishna
Participant

Post by saikrishna »

Can any one please help us the problem behind nls mapping problem...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What database and what is the "NLS setting" of that database?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
saikrishna
Participant

Post by saikrishna »

It is Oracle database.
And NLS_CHARACTER SET is "AL32UTF8"

Thanks
Sai
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: NLS mapping problem

Post by PhilHibbs »

saikrishna wrote:Because of this change, the following job behaving differently

SEQ FILE -> TFM -> TABLE
What character set is the file? Is it a UTF8 file or an ISO8859-1 file? If it is ISO8859-1 file, then set the Sequential File stage itself to that NLS map and then your job will convert it to UTF8. I find that ISO8859-1+MARKS handles a wider variety of characters correctly then plain old ISO8859-1.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
saikrishna
Participant

Post by saikrishna »

The NLS character set in Sequential file and Table are set to UTF8
saikrishna
Participant

Post by saikrishna »

It is ASCII file, which contains Chinese characters. But could not load using DataStage.. But could load correctly using SQLLOADER..

I tried setting UTF, ISO8859-1+MARKS in NLS of DataStage..but could not load it correctly.

For chinese characters, DataStage is reading more characters than actual.

Can any one of you please help us in resolving the NLS problem in DataStage with Chinese characters.

Note: Whatever I pasted the data in my first comment was a direct copy..so please ignore that.

Thanks for the help
Sai
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

saikrishna wrote:It is ASCII file, which contains Chinese characters.
That makes no sense. ASCII cannot represent Chinese characters, it only has English alphanumerics and punctuation marks in the character range 32 (Space) through to 126 (~).
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
saikrishna
Participant

Post by saikrishna »

hI PhilHibbs
It could be non-ascii file... we get this from an upstream system as a regular file.

Please dont concentrate on the type of file, instead can you please tell us, if possible, the problem with the non-conversion of chinese characters using UTF8?

As it is working fine with normal sql loader utility in oracle.

Thanks
Sai
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

saikrishna wrote:Please dont concentrate on the type of file, instead can you please tell us, if possible, the problem with the non-conversion of chinese characters using UTF8?
Sai
Well, the file type is pretty important, if your Sequential File stage specifies UTF8 and the file isn't a UTF8 file, then you will have real problems.

In the SQL*Loader definition, do you specify the file type as UTF8 in the CTL or does it detect it? I'm a bit rusty with SQL*Loader and I've never had to worry about file types as I've only ever used it for ISO8859-1 files and that worked by default.

Can you tell me what the first few bytes of your source file are in hex? That will tell me whether it is UTF8 or not, providing it has a Byte Order Mark which most UTF8 files should have (but not always).
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
nisaumande
Participant

Post by nisaumande »

You should also check the parameter NLS_LANG for the oracle client.

Nicolas
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

nisaumande wrote:You should also check the parameter NLS_LANG for the oracle client.
Maybe, but that's not related to this incident. This is clearly the processing of the input link, as the error message is relating to nls_map_buffer_in().
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

saikrishna wrote:Please dont concentrate on the type of file, instead can you please tell us, if possible, the problem with the non-conversion of chinese characters using UTF8?
Your thinking is "off base" here. The NLS Map must accurately describe how the data in the file are encoded.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.