Chinese Characters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The bin folder should never contain VOC.

You need to attach to the Engine directory and, while there, execute the command bin\dssh which will invoke "TCL" with its ">" prompt.

It is there that you need to execute the given COPY command.

The QUIT command will exit from TCL and dssh.

Then go to the bin directory and delete VOC, D_VOC, VOCLIB, D_VOCLIB, &SAVEDLISTS& (directory) and D_&SAVEDLISTS& - they have been created there by improper attach point when invoking dssh or uv command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
LenGreenwood
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by LenGreenwood »

I don't know why your bin directory has a VOC file in it - presumably created as Ray said in previous reply (but to do that there should have been a message first, along the lines of "do you want to make this directory an account" to which someone replied "yes") . On my 7.5.1 system bin only has .exe and .dll files, and that is all I would expect it to have. Only the Engine directory is an account (what we call the UV account). You should be attached to the Engine directory when you execute bin\dssh.exe, and that takes you into the UV account.

Since the error message is "unable to open..." then there is a VOC entry present in the UV account, but it points to a file that either does not exist, or maybe you don't have the right permissions. If you execute:

Code: Select all

CT VOC NLS.CLIENT.MAPS
you whould see something like:

Code: Select all

0001: F
0002: ./nls/maps/CLIENT.MAPS
0003: /.nls/maps/D_CLIENT.MAPS
(and yes they are forward-slashes not back-slashes).

Is that what you see? If so, is there a file at location ...\Engine\nls\maps\CLIENT.MAPS, and do you have read/write access to it? You may need to be logged in as a Windows Administrator, if you aren't already.
ragunathan13
Participant

Post by ragunathan13 »

Hi,

We tried as Ray had suggested and the code worked out successfully.
We set the NLS setting as MS-936-CS.

But even after setting the NLS map according to the code given by LenGreenWood,we are still not able to view the chinese characters as such by clicking on "view data" option in our job.

We have set MS-936-CS as our project default and as well selected it as the NLS map in our job.The error that we got and have been getting when we choose the "view data" option is as below:
Exact error from job:
China..Sequential_File_0.DSLink3: nls_map_buffer_in() - NLS mapping error, row 1 (approx), row = "??,?????????,15226"

(i.e <job_name>..<Stage_Name>.<Link_Name>:nls_map_buffer_in() - NLS mapping error, row 1 (approx), row = "??,?????????,15226")

Please guide us further...
ragunathan13
Participant

Post by ragunathan13 »

Hi Ray/Lengreenwwood,

We tried as Ray had suggested and the code worked out successfully.
We set the NLS setting as MS-936-CS.

But even after setting the NLS map according to the code given by LenGreenWood,we are still not able to view the chinese characters as such by clicking on "view data" option in our job.

We have set MS-936-CS as our project default and as well selected it as the NLS map in our job.The error that we got and have been getting when we choose the "view data" option is as below:
Exact error from job:
China..Sequential_File_0.DSLink3: nls_map_buffer_in() - NLS mapping error, row 1 (approx), row = "??,?????????,15226"

(i.e <job_name>..<Stage_Name>.<Link_Name>:nls_map_buffer_in() - NLS mapping error, row 1 (approx), row = "??,?????????,15226")

Please guide us further.......
LenGreenwood
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by LenGreenwood »

From your original mail, it sounded like the character set of the data you are reading in the job was UTF-8. You should not change the project or job maps to say MS-936-CS, in that case. If you do, you are telling DataStage that the *data* is in code page 936, when it is not - it is in UTF-8. (The runtime job error is telling you that it can't map the UTF-8 data using an MS-936-CS map.)

What you need the MS-936-CS map for is getting the output from View Data from the server up to the client (the GUI needs to run in code page 9336 to display Chinese chars). So if you refer back to the beginning of this thread...what you have to do is switch the client to code page 936, and ensure that the right client/server mapping is set up. You know it's right when you open up the Administrator client, click the NLS button on the General tab, and under "ANSI code page" it says "936", and under "client/server map in use" it says "MS-936-CS".
ragunathan13
Participant

Post by ragunathan13 »

Thanks Len, Its working fine.

But now my source is also having other than Chinese and English characters (like Swedish), is there any options to support all these languages.

Thanks,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Chinese and Swedish at the same time, or separately? Unicode (UTF-8) should be able to handle both. Specific character maps probably will not, and this means that View Data probably can not handle both at the same time either. But it's only a viewer, and won't affect processing - find some viewer that can handle both character sets if this is a concern for you.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.