Help - Transform readonly in V8 and now cant compile job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Help - Transform readonly in V8 and now cant compile job

Post by fridge »

Hi, have posted on this before but now up a certain creek without a paddle

Basically my tail of woe is thus

Moved some jobs via export / import of dsx from v7.5.1 to v8

Realised job needed a transform that hadnt moved , so exported all transforms from 7.5.1 and imported

But realised after the event that the transforms were read-only in 7.5.1 (so also in v8)

And seems that the transforms are 'invisable' to the job that calls them , indeed they are 'red' in the transformer stage, and on compile get the usual 'array never dimensioned' problem.

Problem is cant re-import the transforms as read-write as cant overwrite the readonly versions, this leaves me in position of the whole project being useless because of one transform , on 7.5.1 could just overwrite the readonly version

I am sure someone must have encouted this kind of problem, I did with routines, (cant compile as readonly - and not useable until compiled) but as transforms are just macros that are expanded at when job compiled didnt think readonly would be an issue (strangly seems to 'detect' the standard transforms that ship with product)

I would be grateful for any suggestions - otherwise I have a weekend of building project from scratch

thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do the export of Transforms again, but this time choose the "include read-only objects" on the Options tab of the export dialog. Otherwise read-only objects are not incorporated into the export file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

Sorry ray , had ensured the readonly transforms were included as per your suggestion - to be doubly sure have just checked the dsx and confirmed the transform is there.

- the issue is that on V8 you cant overwrite a readonly transform with a non-readonly one (and you cant delete it from the repository)
Doesnt actually matter that the objects are read-only - except that cant seem to compile any jobs that reference them as they are not 'visable' to the job.

Just wondering if there is anyway around this otherwise I am going to have to start from scratch -
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why not open a case with your support provider, see if they can help? Before you decide you need to start from scratch.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

Dont worry we have done - just have so much more confidence in DSXchange :-)

Nah - was just seeing if anyone come across same issue as its a doozy
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Looks like you had a very similar problem earlier, does not this same solution apply? :?

viewtopic.php?t=120253
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

never got a solution - logged with IBM but the solution was - 'Dont import readonly objects'

Sorry just popping out as a hear a stable door banging in the wind.

The issue is that it is quite easy to do this and although I believe the behaviour is correct (i.e. dont delete a readonly object) as you cant seem to make the non-readonly there is a risk of scuppering a project.

I have actually solved the issue , and made the transform NRO , but as not supported method and a bit hacky I dont wont to post it here.

We still have a call with IBM to find the best solution - but I suspect it will tie in with the replacement to Version Control that is being mooted