Director Logging

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Novak
Participant

Director Logging

Post by Novak »

Hi,

I was hoping somebody could advise with what would be the best solution for the following situation.

In my project there are many mulitple-instance jobs used. For the reasons unknown to me this job has been used so that every time ExecJob routine runs this instance, the FileDateTime combination is attached to it.
Now, as you can imagine, over a period of time the Director will be overwhelmed with the entries of these runs. And only the 5 runs at worst are to be kept. Bare in mind, I am not talking about the logging of the individual jobs.

My current approach is to recompile the main job in order to help the Director. Is there any other, simpler way to do this.
And, if not, how best I could automate this step but so that the compilation only takes place after all the files have been succesfully processed.

Regards,

Novak
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

AFAIK, that compile that you are doing is how one must remove instances from the Director. As for the timing, depends on your job design... perhaps a Sequence job would help? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can automate the process by deleting those entries from the job's status table that pertain to the particular invocation ID. That would require, of course, a routine that determines the job's job number (to establish the name of the status table), and the invocation ID in question.

Learn about the structure of status table keys by executing the following query for a job that has been invoked with multiple invocation IDs.

Code: Select all

SELECT @ID FMT '40L' FROM RT_STATUSnnn ORDER BY 1;
where nnn is the job number.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Novak
Participant

Post by Novak »

Thanks guys,

After determing the job's job number though, would it just be safe to delete everything from a status table '..where number = nnnn'? Just to depict how crazy it can get, to open up a job category in Director it takes over 10 minutes at times. For a specific one, there was over 3,500 entries.

Also, would you be able to tell me what is the exact command deleting these entries based on a job number?
And, how do I obtain the list of all the commands run from the Administrator? :roll:

Regards,

Novak
Novak
Participant

Post by Novak »

Thanks guys,

After determing the job's job number though, would it just be safe to delete everything from a status table '..where number = nnnn'? Just to depict how crazy it can get, to open up a job category in Director it takes over 10 minutes at times. For a specific one, there was over 3,500 entries.

Also, would you be able to tell me what is the exact command deleting these entries based on a job number?
And, how do I obtain the list of all the commands run from the Administrator? :roll:

Regards,

Novak
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There will typically only be three entries per invocation ID in the status table. I don't have access to DataStage at the moment, but executing the query I gave earlier will show you the structure of the keys.

If you post the result of that query here, and tell us one of the invocation IDs, then it will be possible for me to show you the DELETE statement that is required.

But you do need to be careful, particularly of any "delete everything" approach. In particular you must not delete the base job entries from the status table.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Novak
Participant

Post by Novak »

Thanks for that.

Well, the screenshot of the partial outcome (there are 994 entries all up) of "SELECT @ID FMT '40L'..." is as:

The invocation ID I am using to get the entries from the STATUS table is 1110.

Regards,

Novak
Novak
Participant

Post by Novak »

Strange.... how do I post the image in this box?

Regards,

Novak
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Like that but it looks like you have the "Disable BBCode in this post" enabled. Edit the post, uncheck the option, preview and see if that fixes it.
-craig

Novak
Participant

Post by Novak »

No, thats not the problem. It definitely was not enabled.
I tried reposting as well but it just posts the link.

However, in the meantime I came across the CompileAll routines and thought of playing with that a little.
If I am successfull no DELETE commands in STATUS tables will have to be used, and it will make the client much happier as well.

Thanks & Regards,

Novak
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... it doesn't recognize it as an "image" without a extension of the appropriate type - jpg, bmp, etc. For Picasaweb you'd need to use a URL tag.
-craig