Stage Type Object 'CJSUserVarsActivity' not found

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

AttitudeBaz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Stage Type Object 'CJSUserVarsActivity' not found

Post by AttitudeBaz »

I exported a sequence from my development environment, I loaded it into my production environment and when I went to compile it in production, I got the following error:

Code: Select all

Stage Type Object 'CJSUserVarsActivity' not found. (LoadPIRMExtract_000_Controller.GlobalVariables)
It worked no worries in development.

The sequence is named LoadPIRMExtract_000_Controller

GlobalVariables is a user variables activity located near the start of the sequence.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Seems to me that the User Variables activity has not been imported successfully (and maybe not exported successfully).
Try this query in production:

SELECT OBJNAME FMT '32L', OLETYPE FMT '20L' FROM DS_JOBOBJECTS WHERE OBJIDNO = (SELECT JOBNO FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME = 'LoadPIRMExtract_000_Controller') ORDER BY 1;
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
AttitudeBaz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by AttitudeBaz »

Thanks Ray.

I ran your command and it returned

Object record name...	OLEType...
VOS10			CJUserVarsActivity
I tried to export and then import again with the same problem occurring.

I cannot open the sequence in Production due to this error. Is there anyway I can manually get the object into the repository so it works?
NA
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

From the Manager in your dev project, export the Stage Type in question (CUserVarsActivity) to a .dsx file and then import it into your production project. I would think that would fix whatever is wrong, if the only problem is that one stage type and something more sinister isn't going on.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You will need to enable export of read-only components for what Craig suggests to be successful.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by greggknight »

Just a thought, but I would only export executibles and their dependencies into production. Why would you want people to have the ability to change production code and be out of Sync with development. I see problems on the horizon!!!!!
Just food for thought!
"Don't let the bull between you and the fence"

Thanks
Gregg J Knight

"Never Never Never Quit"
Winston Churchill
greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by greggknight »

Just a thought, but I would only export executibles and their dependencies into production. Why would you want people to have the ability to change production code and be out of Sync with development. I see problems on the horizon!!!!!
Just food for thought!
:shock:

Thanks
Gregg J Knight

"Never Never Never Quit"
Winston Churchill
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The problem here seems not to be that the design elements are going into production but that the underlying class (from which user variables activity is instantiated) appears not to exist in the production project. I agree with you on the software development life cycle, but millions don't.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

We have source and executables in Production so that we can "see" the production code/design there but all of the jobs are Read Only so there's no worries about any changes being made there.
-craig

greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by greggknight »

I exported a sequence from my development environment, I loaded it into my production environment and when I went to compile it in production

The words compile in production means there is code there, other wise you would not be able to compile , correct.

I am only saying thats a road to problems, especially If there is more then one developer.

When changes that were done in Production , because you can since the code is there, start getting over written by new versions from the dev env :!: someone will be very :x
It does happen , believe me.
Thanks

Thanks
Gregg J Knight

"Never Never Never Quit"
Winston Churchill
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

We're veering off topic here, but read only code can be compiled as can code in Protected projects. Neither would allow changes to be made, however.

We're singing from the same hymn book, I'm just saying that simply having the source available in production isn't necessarily a problem. But certainly can be if not restricted properly.
-craig