How to export a sequence job without it's dependent jobs???

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

stilltheone
Participant

How to export a sequence job without it's dependent jobs???

Post by stilltheone »

Hi all,

In Datastage V8.0, when I use the "dsexport.exe" command to export a single sequence job, it will also export all the jobs in it. And it will pop up a dialog to notify the read-only ones, I use a dos script to export many jobs, so I have to manually click OK for each export.

My question is:
1) Is there any way to just export the sequence job itself? A flag to provide that function?
2) Is there any way to exclude the read-only ones when using "dsexport? A flag?

command I used:
dsexport.exe /d=XXX:XXXX /h=XXX /u=XXX /p=XXX XXX_Project /job=XXX XXX.dsx

Many thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome. First suggestion - search the forums for your topic, more than likely you're not the first person with the question. For example, searching for "dsexport.exe" got 51 hits including this post:

viewtopic.php?t=116596

Which would lead you to the OMIT flag, the answer to your second question. I would think the answer to the first is out there, too.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
stilltheone
Participant

Post by stilltheone »

Thanks for you reply, but, I don't quite follow you.

I've searched all the topics for dsexport long time before.

/o is to used to ommit the username/passwd. Are you implying /o have other function?

chulett wrote:Welcome. First suggestion - search the forums for your topic, more than likely you're not the first person with the question. For example, searching for "dsexport.exe" got 51 hits including this post:

viewtopic.php?t=116596

Which would lead you to the OMIT flag, the answer to your second question. I would think the answer to the first is out there, too.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

[sigh] No, just running late and trying to help people out too quickly in an effort to get out the door and on to work that morning. I skimmed over the linked post and only saw the OMIT flag option and assumed it was the same as the GUI export where you can choose to omit/include any read-only objects.

If you've searched and don't see any mention of that functionality, then I'd say it's safe to say it doesn't exist. I'm curious why you are asking, if you are simply exporting a job at a time and you want to exclude read-only jobs, then don't export them. Are you asking how you can determine if a job is read-only from the command line? :?

More details would get you a better answer. As to the Sequence job question, exporting one under 7.x just exports that job and not any of the jobs it runs. So that seems to be something new in the 8.x release and perhaps an option that hasn't been documented here before. I don't have access to the version to check, so perhaps opening a case with your official support provider is on order, ask them and then let us know. For both questions.
-craig

stilltheone
Participant

Post by stilltheone »

I think you can try my command under DS V8, then you'll know what I'm talking about.

For you curious, we work in DS V7.5.1 for quite a long time, and we use a dos bat file to export many jobs and import to another serve. Since we often do this export/import, it will help us to save time.

When changing to DS V8, the dsexport.exe changes a lot, i.e. it will export the read-only objects in a job, routines for example, then pop up a window to notify it.

Anyway, thanks for you reply, I'll continue to communicate with the DS dev team for this issue.
chulett wrote:[sigh] No, just running late and trying to help people out too quickly in an effort to get out the door and on to work that morning. I skimmed over the linked post and only saw the OMIT flag option and assumed it was the same as the GUI export where you can choose to omit/include any read-only objects.

If you've searched and don't see any mention of that functionality, then I'd say it's safe to say it doesn't exist. I'm curious why you are asking, if you are simply exporting a job at a time and you want to exclude read-only jobs, then don't export them. Are you asking how you can determine if a job is read-only from the command line? :?

More details would get you a better answer. As to the Sequence job question, exporting one under 7.x just exports that job and not any of the jobs it runs. So that seems to be something new in the 8.x release and perhaps an option that hasn't been documented here before. I don't have access to the version to check, so perhaps opening a case with your official support provider is on order, ask them and then let us know. For both questions.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but not having 8.x makes it hard to help with problems / issues / features specific to that version. However, all kinds of people here do have it, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

There's a couple of things working against you right now, the fact that it is the weekend, and that IOD in Las Vegas starts tomorrow so (other) people are traveling and may have limited access to the site. It won't stop Ray, though, fully expect to see him helping folks while manning the DSXchange booth like every other year. :wink:

ps. No need to quote each post you reply to, there's the "Reply to Topic" button that you can use, I reserve the "Reply with quote" option when I need to respond to specific portions of a post and want to ensure people know what I'm replying to.

Good luck, please post back here with any resolution or workaround your team comes up with.
-craig

stilltheone
Participant

Post by stilltheone »

Oh, I see where the "reply this topic" is

Thanks anyway
zapal
Participant

Post by zapal »

I'm very interisting with the answer because I'm trying to export in the same way (without read-only objects).

I'm asking to the support but no answer for the moment.
stilltheone
Participant

Post by stilltheone »

Unfortunately, no solution to resolve this problem, any suggestions is welcomed.
stilltheone
Participant

Post by stilltheone »

Unfortunately, no solution to resolve this problem, any suggestions is welcomed.