What additonal required to work in PX jobs?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

devesh_ssingh
Participant

What additonal required to work in PX jobs?

Post by devesh_ssingh »

Hi all,
I have experince working in data migration project in MVS edition with 8x version, what additional i need to learn so that i can work for PX and server version? in other way how PX and server jobs are different from Mainfrmae jobs(MVS)?

Many many Thanks in Advanace.

Kind Regards,
Devesh singh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Server is closer in concept to MVS edition, in that there are few "work" stage types and various connectivity stage types. Like MVS edition, server jobs are easy to develop and the environment is tolerably forgiving.

To move to the parallel world there are many more things you need to learn. There are more than 70 stage types (one task, one stage) plus you need to keep in mind key grouping (partitioning), requirements for pre-sorted data, memory usage, and various other technical things. Parallel jobs use strongly typed data and are intolerant of data type and nullability mismatches.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
devesh_ssingh
Participant

Post by devesh_ssingh »

ok so its easy to switch in to server eddition.
And how does parellel job differ...can we develope Parellel jobs on windows enviourment assuming it happen only in unix Os?
What other concept need to adpated in case of switch to PX?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Given that the server to parallel transition lab takes four days as an instructor-led class it's clear that answering that here just isn't going to happen. Parallel jobs require an almost completely different mindset, and this includes forgetting certain server/390 techniques.

Parallel jobs can be executed on Windows, provided that you have version 7.5x2 or version 8.0 or later. Parallel jobs can be executed on clusters and grids, with processing allocated to more than one machine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.