No output from Hashed file into transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

BIuser
Premium Member
Premium Member

No output from Hashed file into transformer

Post by BIuser »

Hi there

Could someone perhaps tell me why rows would be read into a hashed file but no output is sent out of the hashed file stage again ?

I have an ODBC connector connecting to an Excel spreadsheet. I am using the following USER-DEFINED query in the ODBC stage:

SELECT "SchemeNumber", "BrokerGroup", "BrokerSize" FROM "Exceptions$" where "SchemeNumber" <> ''; (PRIMARY INPUT)

SELECT "SchemeNumber", "BrokerGroup", "BrokerSize" FROM "Exceptions$" (REFERENCE INPUT)

This data then equals 7 rows which go into the hashed file. The hashed file is then supposed to output these 7 rows to a transformer where i use the input of some of the columns for the derivations. However, when I run the job, the rows from the ODBC to the hashed file is fine, but ZERO rows are output from the hashed file into the Transformer.

Any idea why this could be happening ?

Thanks!
Barbara
-------------------------
https://www.ssa.co.za
sachin1
Participant

Re: No output from Hashed file into transformer

Post by sachin1 »

if your lookup condition does not match from reference with stream, you have that issue, please check the values in keys are matching to get output.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What does the job's log show? Either there were errors writing to the hashed file or you're not reading from the same one you wrote to.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You have $ in your hashed file name? I would rename it. Not sure if " is the proper quote character for a hashed file. Remove the $ and " should not be needed. I think your issue is in the name.
Mamu Kim
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Besides you cannot use an ODBC stage to read a hashed file. You need a UV stage.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... or a Hashed File stage, which is faster than a UV stage for lookups. Can you please sketch out your job design showing the stage types used?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
BIuser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BIuser »

I've never sketched what my job looks like so please bare with me here ! :-)

ODBC
Stage
reading from ------- Hashed File ---------- Transformer (lookup)
an Excel
S/sheet

I do think that it may be a problem with the input stream reference. Reason is that if I put these stages into a separate test job, then there is no problem ... so I do not believe that it is the name of my hashed file or such like ... what do I have to look out for though when using a lookup? Do the columns have to be the same data type and length ? If so, that would be strange because I have more than one lookup and neither of them matches the data type and length precisely ???

Please let me know if this is ok ... (the sketch I mean and that I've explained myself correctly. It must be extremely frustrating when people don't give enough detail)

Kind regards,
Barbara
email: barbaraohlss@gmail.com
-------------------------
https://www.ssa.co.za
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Make sure that the keys to the hashed file and the values that you are looking up are identical - in particular identically trimmed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.