Repository on SQL 2005 Express Edition

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Repository on SQL 2005 Express Edition

Post by Nisusmage »

Has anyone had success in installing the datastage repository on a SQL 2005 Express server?

I had to install the repository on a separate SQL server due to license issues. This posed a problem because while the SQL box was busy, datastage slowed right down.

I've installed a SQL express version on the datastage server. However, when I try to re-install the DS environment I cannot get past the DatastageX (approx 45%) section of the install. I've searched through the log files and come up empty as to the clear reason. I'm only presuming it's because of te SQL express version?
Or the version of SQL I'm connecting to is called 'SRV03-DS\SQLEXPRESS', could it be complaining about the server name?

Thanks in advance for any light shed.
~The simpliest solutions are always the best~
~Trick is to understand the complexity to implement simplicity~
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Is "SQL Server 2005 Express Edition" anywhere on the supported repository database list for 8.x?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nisusmage »

I take it that it's a BEEEG .. NOOOOOOO, it's not supported.

I just noticed SQL 2005, we've got about 5 different versions available.

Thought I'd give it a go.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yah, that's basically a 'no'. :)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I got it running on SQL Server Express but since it's not officially supported you might have trouble getting phone support for your DataStage install problem. You didn't need to reinstall DataStage - you could have just pointed it to the new Metadata Server. I think it's more likely you missed an uninstall step and the reinstall is not working because of it. Have a look at the IBM document Frequently asked questions about uninstalling IBM Information Server.
Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nisusmage »

I searched everywhere for some kind of hope that I can just move the repository.
I found a way to move the IADB, that's easy, it's in the repair portion of the installation. But moving the XMETA DB didn't seem possible. How would I do that ?
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You just run the Information Server install all over again on the new server but only install the repository and domain layers. Leave the server layer alone (DataStage). Once the Metadata Server is reinstalled you can go into the console and hook it into the DataStage server.
Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nisusmage »

vmcburney wrote:You just run the Information Server install all over again on the new server but only install the repository and domain layers. Leave the server layer alone (DataStage). Once the Metadata Server is reinstalled you can go into the console and hook it into the DataStage server.
Again, I see how to do that with the install but how do I "hook it" into the Datastage server. I've searched the console for how to do this. I tend to get lost in there and a little nervous because last time I changed something and I couldn't login with any user not even admin. I had to re-install again.
Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nisusmage »

Please can someone help me here, I still haven't found a solution to this.
I'm currently running the XMETA and IADB on a separate server.

From previous posts, there is a way to run this off a SQL2005 Express server. However, I'm still baffeled as to how.?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nisusmage »

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone been able to try and get this working.? Does anyone else have this requirement.?

I've been on other projects and only really come back to this problem yesterday.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nisusmage »

Can Anyone help me with the configuration for XMETA and IADB?

I need to find way to point to the local SQL installation and not the current installation over the network

Thanks.