Failing to connect to UniData 6 database from Designer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yserrano
Premium Member
Premium Member

Failing to connect to UniData 6 database from Designer

Post by yserrano »

Hello all,

Given a sequence name, I need to query all the job names inside that sequence and its subsequences.
I know this has been asked before, I did my homework by searching and reading the related posts. There are two possible approaches, right?

1.- To use a transform routine issuing a SELECT from the tables DS_JOBOBJECTS and DS_JOBS or,
2.- To use an UV Stage to execute a similar query.

I am trying the second approach. In order to access the tables in the UV Stage, I first defined the ODBC connection in the uvodbc.config file:

Code: Select all

<DBUnidat>
DBMSTYPE = UNIDATA
network = TCP/IP
service = uvserver
host = 192.168.50.107
Then, I tried to import the UniData 6 table definitions from DataStage Designer.

After filling the fields of the Import Meta Data dialog, I always get the message: "Failed to connect to database".

I am trying with different users and account values, but apparently the error has nothing to do with those fields.

Any idea of what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Yonny.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

UniVerse, not UniData.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

uvserver is not the server for UniData. You need the correct UniData server name in the uvodbc.config entry.

This may be what Craig was trying to say.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, not really, but I guess I'm confused. Why would you be using UniData to access DS_JOBS, DS_JOBSOBJECT, etc? You just want a UV stage with the DSN set to 'localuv' do you not? There's no ODBC setup required for that.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

True, if that's what you want to do. But the subject is "failing to connect to UniData 6 database".
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Right, but look beyond the subject to the reason why they are 'connecting to UniData6 from Designer'. :wink:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Maybe they want to replicate the Repository in a UniData database?
:?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Um, yah. :?
-craig

yserrano
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yserrano »

No, not the Repository :wink:
Right, but look beyond the subject to the reason why they are 'connecting to UniData6 from Designer'
Yes, thank you. It is explained in the main post the reason why we are trying to connect to UniVerse: "to query all the job names inside that sequence and its subsequences". I was using UniData because after reading some posts here in the forum about a similar subject I got under the impression that the tables DS_JOBOBJECTS and DS_JOBS reside in a UniData database.

So, I know now I was wrong. I followed your suggestions, using a UVStage, with 'localuv" in the Data Source Name, and in the Outputs tab "User-defined SQL query" selected.

I verified the access to one of the mentioned tables with a simple query (SELECT DS_JOBS.NAME JobName from DS_JOBS), and the jobs are there, now I guess I just need to 'refine" my query. Thank you.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Excellent. Time to mark the topic as Resolved then?
-craig